Queen: Trooping the Colour cancelled for 2021
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
Queen Elizabeth II, 94, and Prince Philip, 99, have spent the best part of the pandemic isolating at Windsor Castle. Earlier this month the Duke returned to Windsor having spent a month in hospital in London where he was treated for an infection and underwent heart surgery for a pre-existing condition.
As the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are both in their 90s they have had to be extremely cautious during the pandemic, but they could do something special to mark the Queen’s 95th birthday on April 21.
While COVID-19 has put an end to mass celebrations, for now, the royal couple could pose for a new picture together to mark the Queen’s birthday.
Last year a photo was released to mark Prince Philip’s 99th birthday on June 10 and a similar new portrait of the couple at Windsor could be shared when the Queen turns 95.
As well as her actual birthday in April, the Queen celebrates her official birthday with a spectacular parade every June.
However, this year Trooping the Colour has been cancelled for a second consecutive year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The event usually draws huge crowds to central London to watch the spectacular display and see Royal Family members gather on the balcony at Buckingham Palace to watch the flyover.
There were hopes that the event would be able to go ahead on June 12 but last week the Palace announced it would be pared-back once again.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman confirmed: “Following consultation with Government and other relevant parties it has been agreed that The Queen’s Official Birthday Parade, also known as Trooping the Colour, will not go ahead this year in its traditional form in central London.”
The statement added: “Options for an alternative Parade, in the quadrangle at Windsor Castle, are being considered.
“The annual Garter service, usually held in June, will not take place this year.”
The Queen is not the only one who has a big birthday coming up.
Royal feud: Moment Harry and William’s relationship breaks down [VIDEO]
US host erupts at Meghan Markle and Harry’s secret wedding backlash [REACTION]
Bank statements defend Charles over claim he cut Harry off ‒ insider [INSIGHT]
Prince Philip is due to celebrate his 100th birthday this year and while he is known to not like a fuss, the extraordinary milestone is expected to be marked by some kind of nationwide celebration.
Earlier this year, a royal source told the Telegraph the Duke was “reluctant” to celebrate his birthday in any meaningful manner.
The insider said: “Let’s just say we have a rather reluctant celebrant.
“You can’t do something if someone doesn’t want something doing.”
While the source claimed plans for the Duke’s birthday were well underway they added “the one person you can guarantee will want nothing to do with it is the Duke.”
From Monday lockdown rules in England have been relaxed allowing up to six people or two households to socialise outdoors.
This could give the Queen and Philip the option of celebrating their birthdays with several Royal Family members as long as they keep the get-togethers outside.
The Queen and Philip usually spend the summer holidays at Balmoral in Scotland but it is not yet known whether the annual trip will be able to go ahead.
Source: Read Full Article