Queen Elizabeth II retained ‘full control’ over Princess Beatrice wedding

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

The Queen’s aides at Buckingham Palace were successful in avoiding leaks or rumours regarding the secretive wedding of Princess Beatrice and Edoardo, a royal expert has noted. This allowed the palace to have full control over the narrative of the special event and helped avoid any unwanted scrutiny, according to Nigel Cawthorne, author of Prince Andrew: Epstein and the Palace (Gibson Square). 

The royal expert told Express.co.uk: “Had the wedding date not been kept secret, everyone would have wanted to find out who is part of the Yorks’ most inner circle and lined up outside the roads in Windsor to take pictures as people drove up to the wedding.

“Under the current circumstances the palace has retained full control over all the information without any leaks and we don’t know for sure who was in attendance.”

Princess Beatrice and Edoardo’s nuptials took place as Prince Andrew, the father of the bride, continues to suffer backlash from his car crash interview with Newsnight in mid-November.

Mr Cawthorne believes leaks or even more details provided by the Palace on last Friday’s wedding could have put the Duke of York under the spotlight. 

Speaking about the media and public scrutiny, the expert said: “An important consideration was that any variation on the media circus they had planned in February would have descended into a hunt for Prince Andrew and asking him about the state of his Epstein testimony to the FBI.”

Prince Andrew spoke about his association with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in November, in a 45-minute interview with Emily Maitlis.

After the special Newsnight programme, the Duke of York was accused by many viewers and commentators of failing to express his sympathy for the victims. 

He was also criticised for saying he did not regret “as a whole” his association with the former financier.

Prince Andrew has strongly denied any wrongdoings and has declared he is willing to help “any appropriate law enforcement agency with their investigations, if required” in a statement he issued a few days after his interview last year.

Prince Andrew and his former wife Sarah Ferguson were the most notable absentees from the official pictures released by Buckingham Palace over the weekend following Beatrice and Edoardo’s wedding.  

The only two guests mentioned in a brief statement released after the wedding by the palace were the Queen and Prince Philip, who also appeared in the official snaps.

The statement read: “The private wedding ceremony of Princess Beatrice and Mr Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi took place at 11am on Friday 17th July at The Royal Chapel of All Saints at Royal Lodge, Windsor.

“The small ceremony was attended by The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and close family.

“The wedding took place in accordance with all relevant Government Guidelines.” 

 After the wedding, Princess Eugenie, Beatrice’s younger sister, took to Instagram to share her joy with her followers.

She said: “Couldn’t Bea happier (get it)… ⁣

“What a complete joy and privilege to watch you, my beautiful big sister, walk down the aisle to dear Edo.

“I am so proud of you and I’m so excited to support you in the next chapter of your life. 

“We are going to have so much fun together. ⁣

“Happy wedding day to you both xxxx”

Sarah, the mother of the bride, broke her silence on the wedding earlier this week, tweeting: “Thank you to all the special&kind people that took the time to send amazingly caring&supportive messages.

“Never has a mother been more proud than the wedding of Eugenie and Jack&again with my Beatrice’s loving wedding to Dear Edo.

“I am so lucky with my girls&the best sons-in-law”.   

Source: Read Full Article