We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
The Queen was reported to have been asked permission for a wreath to be laid in Prince Harry’s name as the Royal Family marked Remembrance. But the Duke of Sussex and Meghan Markle were forced to mark the occasion in their own way after his request was denied by the Palace. Royal commentator Morgan Stewart welcomed Her Majesty’s decision, saying that “finally the line is drawn” on the type of demands Harry and Meghan can make.
UPDATES: Royal Family LIVE: Queen SHAMED after Prince Harry snubbed by Palace – ‘Pushing her luck!’
The E! News host said: “I can’t give exact examples but, obviously, they’ve detached themselves from the Royal Family and in the times we’ve spoken about them since they’ve been in LA, there have been some small requests they’ve asked for.
“It’s been sort of like, ‘ok, we can accommodate, we’re figuring our way.’ This was the first blatant…this is the line.
“You’re not senior members of the Royal Family anymore, enough. We’re not catering for you, you live in Santa Barbara, you’ve got rich, famous neighbours, you want to focus on other things.”
Ms Stewart continued: “We’re not doing things on behalf of you, you either show up like you’re supposed to do, or you’re not a part of it.
JUST IN: Princess Diana heartbreak: Royal knew Prince Charles and Camilla were ‘true love match’
“It was kind of nice to see, finally, the line is drawn. We’re not just always going to extend something out for you, you’ve made this decision and now we’re following suit and respecting that.”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex ultimately marked Remembrance Sunday with an intimate wreath-laying ceremony at the Los Angeles National Ceremony, where they paid tribute to two Commonwealth soldiers.
E! News co-host Kym Whitley however criticised the Queen’s decision, suggesting the Royal Family could be excluding Harry and Meghan as they previously did with Her Majesty’s uncle, King Edward VIII.
The former king opted for abdication in 1936 after the Government rejected his demands to marry his American divorcee lover, Wallis Simpson.
READ MORE: Kate heartbroken as Prince William ‘thought he could do better’ before ending relationship
The constitutional crisis that arose when Edward VIII quit catapulted then 10-year-old Princess Elizabeth forward in the order of succession as her father, George VI, became king.
Ms Whitley said: “You remember what happened to his great grand-uncle, King Edward VIII? I felt bad when they kicked King Edward out, he just wants to marry the American.
“They would not let King Edward be involved any longer in any of the family matters so I think they just set an example that they can’t come back, especially when it’s a big family thing.
“But I felt bad for him because as a young boy he lost his mum and maybe, with him, laying a wreath for Remembrance can be attached to him. So I’m glad they did their own thing.”
Queen Elizabeth II news: Who was the Queen’s favourite president? Has she met Joe Biden? [INSIGHT]
Prince Charles news: Can Prince Charles speak Welsh? What languages can he speak? [ANALYSIS]
End the monarchy! Police use water cannon as protesters try to break into palace [INFO]
Ms Whitley also defended Prince Harry’s decision to step back from his official roles earlier in the year after both the Duke and Duchess of Sussex admitted to struggling with the pressure facing them after their marriage.
She added: “You also have to remember why he made the decision. They were really mean to his wife and his child.
“He didn’t make the decision because he didn’t just feel like being part of the family. He had to make an executive decision for his family.”
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle officially stepped down as working members of the Royal Family in March and are unlikely to resume their duties once the one-year trial agreed with the Queen ends in 2021.
Source: Read Full Article