Queen Margrethe royal title stripping likened to ‘Megxit crisis’

Queen Margrethe of Denmark strips grandchildren of royal titles

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

King Charles III “will be watching what is happening in Denmark with great interest” as the Danish Royal Family is contending with its own “crisis” similar to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex leaving The Firm, a royal expert has said. On Wednesday, Queen Margrethe of Denmark removed the titles of prince and princess from four of her eight grandchildren.

The monarch, 82, has “discontinued” the royal titles for the children of her second son, Prince Joachim.

The queen’s grandchildren in this line will instead inherit the title of His or Her Excellency, Count or Countess of Monpezat, rather than the princely titles.

The change will come into effect next year, changing the titles for 23-year-old Nikolai, Felix, 20, teenage Henrik, 13, and ten-year-old Athena.

A statement from the Danish palace said it wished for the sovereign’s grandchildren to “be able to shape their own lives” without being restricted by “duties that a formal affiliation with the Royal House of Denmark as an institution involves”.

The grandchildren will, however, maintain their position in the line of succession.

The decision will not impact the children of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary.

Jacob Heinel Jensen, a royal correspondent for the Danish tabloid BT, likened the “situation we have in Denmark today” to “what the UK had two years ago”.

He told MailOnline: “Yesterday we had a Prince Joachim going rogue on TV saying how upset he was, how his children are suffering.

“The parallels between him and Harry are there for all to see.”

Mr Jensen then speculated that, with King Charles’ history of toying with the idea of a slimmed-down monarchy, “he will be watching what is happening in Denmark with great interest”.

Prince Joachim, whose children will lose their titles, told Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet: “It’s never fun to see your children being mistreated like that.

“They themselves find themselves in a situation they do not understand.”

DON’T MISS: 
Harry & Meghan to ‘stall’ Netflix release to edit Charles barbs, claim [LIVE]
POLL: Should Prince and Princess of Wales titles be scrapped? [VOTE]
Queen condemned Prince Harry for ‘behaving in beastly manner’ [REVEAL]

Prince Nikolai, one of the grandchildren who will forfeit his title come the new year, said he had been informed of the decision just over a week before it was made public.

He said: We are, as my parents have also stated, in shock at this decision and at how quickly it has actually gone.

“I am very confused as to why it has to happen like this.”

The announcement was framed as a “natural extension” of the decision in 2016 that only Prince Christian, the eldest child of Crown Prince Frederik, will “receive an annuity from the state as an adult”.

The statement continued: “Prince Joachim’s descendants will thus have to be addressed as excellencies in the future.

“The Queen’s decision is in line with similar adjustments that other royal houses have made in various ways in recent years.”

Source: Read Full Article