Prince Harry: Diana 'wouldn't approve of trapped comment' says expert
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
The brothers are said to have both approved the design of the statue of Princess Diana, set to be unveiled on July 1. A source close to sculptor Ian Rank-Broadley, who had been commissioned to do the statue, said: “It will have been signed off by William and Harry, that much I do know.”
They told The Sun: “I know he did work closely with the boys and I think it will be incredible.
“We’re lucky to have him as an artist in the UK.”
According to the newspaper, the sculptor sent his work to be cast after receiving positive feedback from the princes, a move seen as a possible first step towards mending their relationship.
The insider did not say when the Dukes approved the design for the statue.
The Sun also claimed Harry and William’s beloved cousin Zara and her husband Mike Tindall “have been playing peacemakers between them over the past year”.
Prince William and Prince Harry, who were last seen together at the 2020 Commonwealth Day service where their frosty relationship was clearly on display, are part of a six-people committee overseeing the project which includes Princess Diana’s sister Lady Sarah McCorquodale.
The statue was first announced on the 20th anniversary of the death of the Princess of Wales.
Last August, Harry and William put their differences aside and issued a joint statement announcing when and where the statue will be unveiled.
Kensington Palace’s announcement read: “The statue that Prince William and Prince Harry have commissioned to commemorate their mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, will be installed next year on what would have been her 60th birthday.
“The statue was commissioned to mark the 20th anniversary of her death and recognise her positive impact in the UK and around the world.
“The statue will be installed in the Sunken Garden of Kensington Palace on July 1 2021, marking the Princess’s 60th birthday.
“The Princes hope that the statue will help all those who visit Kensington Palace to reflect on their mother’s life and her legacy.”
Despite the brothers’ rift and the further fallout that resulted from the Oprah Winfrey interview of the Sussexes, Prince Harry and Prince William are reportedly determined to stand shoulder to shoulder to honour their mother’s memory and legacy.
This is a live blog. Check below to see the latest royal updates
3.15pm update: Royal Family crisis looms as Diana interview set for HUGE audience on Netflix
Princess Diana’s infamous interview with BBC Panorama is to debut on Netflix this month, a move which will give the Princess of Wales’s words an even wider audience.
The Channel 5 documentary looking back to Princess Diana’s tell-all interview with Martin Bashir in 1995 will premiere on the streaming platform on April 11.
The programme, titled ‘Diana, The Interview that Shaked the World’, includes the most memorable and groundbreaking quotes by the late royal as well as an analysis of how the BBC Panorama journalist may have come to gain Princess Diana’s trust.
The documentary also features testimony from both BBC insiders and some of those closest to Diana.
In 1995, the bombshell interview drew more than 22.8 million viewers in the UK alone.
The release of this programme by Channel 5 in October 2020 created new interest in the interview and the claims Princess Diana made.
Emily Ferguson has taken over live reporting from Alice Scarsi
2.20pm update: Queen ‘almost inconsolable’ in the wake of latest blow during difficult year
The Queen was “almost inconsolable” when she was hit by yet another blow during a very difficult year, one leading royal biographer has claimed.
The Queen was at the end of her tether in November 1992, when after months of crises and issues coming her way part of Windsor Castle burned down, royal expert Andrew Morton said.
Following the fire, Mr Morton said the monarch “looked utterly devastated”.
Luckily, he added, she could count on the tireless support of his sister Princess Margaret.
In his new book Elizabeth & Margaret, Mr Morton wrote: “Fortunately for Elizabeth, Margaret was there for her in 1992, the Queen’s annus horribilis.
“The worst year of the Queen’s reign began with the separation in March of the Duke and Duchess of York and continued with the divorce in April of her daughter Princess Anne from Captain Mark Phillips.
“This was followed by a devastating fire at Windsor Castle in November. When the Queen, dressed in a green rain mac and matching hat, came to visit the smouldering ruin, she looked utterly devastated.
“The castle, an icon of Britain’s history, had also been her home for most of her life. She retreated to Royal Lodge and spent the weekend with Margaret and her mother, almost inconsolable. ‘The symbolism of the Windsor Castle fire was not lost on anyone inside the family,’ Diana recalled.”
1.35pm update: Prince William, Kate and Prince Charles send VERY different Happy Easter messages
Prince William, Kate and Prince Charles have wished their followers a Happy Easter by sharing two very different messages.
The three senior royals have publicly marked Easter on their social media channels, Kensington Royal and Clarence House.
However, their messages appeared to be starkly different in content and tone.
Kate and Prince William led the celebrations by sharing a brief message reading: “Wishing you all a safe and happy Easter”.
This came with the video of a smashed chocolate egg.
On the other hand, Clarence House – Prince Charles and Camilla’s office – shared a video of Prince Charles reading verses by leading Victorian poet Gerald Manley Hopkins.
The sombre message read: “Wishing you a very happy Easter Sunday.
“In support for Christians around the world, The Prince has contributed to this year’s Easter Meditation at @Stonyhurst College in Lancashire.
“His Royal Highness reads ‘God’s Grandeur’ by Gerard Manley Hopkins.”
12.35pm update: ‘Utterly shameless!’ TV host calls out Harry and Meghan after ANOTHER Oprah claim unravels
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have been branded “utterly shameless” after it emerged they held talks with streaming service Quibi a full year before Megxit took place – calling into question some of the explosive claims made in the Oprah Winfrey interview.
Sky News Australia host James Morrow deemed the couple “utterly shameless” and said the new information “calls in question” the entire Oprah Winfrey interview.
Sky News Australia co-host Rita Panahi said new information about the “Duke and Duchess of woke” reveals the couple were engaged in talks with video platform Quibi one year before Megxit occurred.
She said: “It has emerged that they were in negotiations with a video platform to do a commercial deal a full year before Megxit actually happened. These were in early 2019.
“It exposes the lie they weren’t preparing for this exit, they weren’t trying to profit from their royal status, it was just they were bullied out of the UK with all of the racism and all of the pressure on them from the media.
“It’s very interesting, all these tidbits about them coming out now.”
Mr Morrow responded: “Utterly shameless, isn’t it?
“People feel like this has been a stitch-up from the very start and it just calls into question every time when people say we have to believe them when they say it is ‘our truth’.
“It looks more and more that this was all this was confected to set up a book deal, a movie deal, more celebrity and more money!.”
Sky News host Rowan Dean said: “Lefty lunacy is now of course synonymous with Harry and Meghan”.
11.20am update: Princess Eugenie baby news: How Queen may have secretly met Eugenie’s son
Princess Eugenie gave birth to August Philip Hawke in February. Here’s how the Queen could have secretly met her new great-grandson.
Princess Eugenie, 31, and her husband Jack Brooksbank have been living at Frogmore Cottage in Windsor since before Christmas.
Eugenie and Jack welcomed their baby boy August Philip Hawke to the world on February 9 and now lockdown restrictions have been relaxed Queen Elizabeth II, 94, may have secretly met her ninth great-grandchild.
Frogmore Cottage is a short distance from Windsor Castle where the Queen and Prince Philip, 99, have been based throughout the pandemic.
After lockdown restrictions were eased in England allowing up to six people to meet outdoors, the Queen may have popped to Frogmore to meet Baby August with Eugenie for a walk in the grounds.
On Good Friday, royal fans were delighted to see new pictures of Prince Charles, 72, and the Queen posing for impromptu photos while out on a stroll in the grounds of Frogmore House, just across the way from Frogmore Cottage.
While the photos were taken on March 23, they were only released to the public on Good Friday as a special way of marking the Christian holiday.
The Queen is hugely fond of the gardens at Frogmore House which are on Eugenie’s doorstep.
The stunning grounds could have provided the perfect setting for Eugenie to introduce her son to the Queen this Easter.
10.45am update: John Humphrys unmasked Meghan Markle’s ‘mistake’ over ‘exposing herself’ to Royal Family
The journalist claimed Meghan Markle made a “mistake” in her decision to “expose” herself to the Royal Family in a furious rant.
Humphrys, who describes himself as anti-monarchy on a regular basis, took aim at Meghan in a brutal rant.
The 77-year-old, who hosted BBC Radio 4’s Today programme until two years ago, was furious over the Sussexes’ departure from The Firm.
His anger was furthered when it was announced that Meghan and Prince Harry would spill the beans to Oprah Winfrey.
Humphrys argued that their decision to have a tell-all interview while demanding “privacy” was a “contradiction”.
He claimed Oprah was “the most famous TV celebrity on the planet” and that their sit-down was likely to be watched by “hundreds of millions”.
10.20am update: Actor Daniel Kaluuya lashes out over Meghan Markle treatment on SNL
The Royal Family were the butt of the joke during Daniel Kaluuya turn on Saturday Night Live yesterday, highlighting Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s race allegations.
Daniel Kaluuya referenced the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s race allegations against the Royal Family during his appearance on US TV.
The British Oscar nominee made his hosting debut on long-running comedy show SNL, and it wasn’t long before Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were spoken about.
In their bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey last month, the couple alleged a member of the family – not the Queen or the Duke of Edinburgh – had made a racist comment about their son Archie.
The 32-year-old, who was born in London to Ugandan parents, referenced the claim during his opening monologue.
He told viewers: “First of all, I know you’re hearing my accent and thinking, ‘Oh no, he’s not black, he’s British’.
“Let me reassure you that I am black. I’m black and I’m British.”
Daniel then quipped: “Basically I am what the Royal Family was worried the baby would look like.”
9.20am update: ‘Whole lot could go!’ Meghan and Harry’s interview could spark complete royal collapse
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry may have sparked an “existential crisis” for the Royal Family after exposing the Firm’s secrecy, it has been claimed.
Meghan claimed during the explosive interview with Oprah she cannot be expected to be kept quiet over her experiences with the Firm.
Graham Smith, the CEO of anti-royal campaigner group Republic, warned the Royal Family could lose support around the world after the couple’s claims revealed what the monarchy has been “hiding away”.
He told Express.co.uk: “The biggest problem with the monarchy is that it can only survive when shrouded by secrecy and spin.
“If politicians get it wrong we can get rid of individuals without pulling the whole house down.
“If royals get it wrong, we’re either stuck with them or the whole lot has to go.
“So they hide everything away as much as possible, and that causes problems that build up over years.
“That’s all changing now Harry and Meghan are freed from the circus and clearly keen to shed some light on what happens at the palace. This could pose an existential crisis for the royals.”
8am update: Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis to lose family title while Prince George gains new one
Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis are set to lose out on a Royal Family title when their father, Prince William, finally becomes king, according to an expert.
Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis will all experience changes to their royal title when Prince Charles and Prince William respectively become king, an expert has said.
Marlene Koenig explained to Express.co.uk how this would affect their title stylings.
She also pointed out the difference between George’s future and that of his siblings.
Ms Koenig told Express.co.uk: “The first day Charles is king, the children will be Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis of Cornwall and Cambridge.
“Once their dad is Prince of Wales, they become George of Wales, Charlotte of Wales, Louis of Wales.
“Then when their dad is king, George will become Duke of Cornwall and then, of course, Prince of Wales.
“But Charlotte and Louis will be of nothing.”
Source: Read Full Article