Royal Family ‘relieved’ Prince Andrew settled Virginia Giuffre case: ‘Would be ghastly’

Boris Johnson quizzed on Prince Andrew case by Raworth

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Prince Andrew is being ridiculed by Buckingham Palace staff who have adapted an old nursery rhyme in light of his court settlement, it has been claimed. Virginia Giuffre and Andrew were preparing for a full civil trial later this year as the Duke of York was accused of sexually assaulting her on three occasions. Andrew has always denied the claims, but agreed last week to an out of court settlement with his accuser. Palace aides are said to have put a new spin on The Grand Old Duke of York, which references his denials of ever having met Ms Giuffre, reports the Sunday Times.

They have reportedly been singing: “The grand old Duke of York, he had 12 million quid.

“He gave it to someone he’d never met, for something he never did.”

The controversy has led to years of unwanted headlines for the Royal Family, and royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams tells Express.co.uk the Royal Family is relieved a settlement was reached between Andrew and Ms Giuffre.

He said: “The whole scandal has been very damaging, obviously it has.

“That interview he gave on Newsnight in 2019 was so disastrous and ever since then there has been a steady drip of information about how his legal team were trying to persuade the judge that the case shouldn’t go on.

“Every time he has appeared in public, it has led to bad headlines, so obviously the Royal Family were very relieved that this was settled.

“Had this gone to court, the publicity would have been so ghastly. It had to be settled now, because he was facing a personal examination by Ms Giuffre’s legal team.

“Certainly, given the circumstances, this was really going to be a calamity if it hadn’t have been settled.”

According to reports, Andrew has been making secret visits to the Queen in order to discuss the settlement and his future role in the Royal Family.

A source told the Sun on Sunday that the Duke has apologised to the Queen.

A royal source told the newspaper that Andrew realises the seriousness of the scandal and “the damage it has done to the monarchy.”

They said: “Andrew has been very careful and is trying to keep out of sight.

“He knows there are photographers in the daytime and his best chance to avoid them is after dark.

“He knows he is meant to be keeping his head down and it’s a short trip, but he is extremely contrite and apologised to the Queen for all the trouble he has caused her.”

The source said the last thing he wanted to do was “cause his beloved mother so much anguish at her age and in her Platinum Jubilee year.”

They added: “He is just so grateful for her support and it’s certainly true that the Queen has a soft spot for Andrew and regards him as her favourite son.”

Mr Fitzwilliams also tells Express.co.uk that Andrew is receiving support from his close family, including his daughters.

He said: “Of course he has support from his family, the Yorks are a close knit family.

DON’T MISS

Prince Andrew’s bombshell plans to ‘follow’ Prince Harry [INSIGHT]

Karren Brady calls out Prince Andrew and Prince Harry [ANALYSIS]

Prince Andrew SNUBBED as all royal take united stance [INSIGHT]

“Eugenie and Beatrice are supportive of their father, they have their lives, they don’t do royal duties, so they aren’t likely to be affected.

“The Yorks are a very supportive family, they appear to be team York, so to speak.”

Andrew’s daughters have not publicly commented on the allegations made against their father, but Andrew’s ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson, has expressed her support for the Duke of York.

In December, she was promoting her Mills & Boon novel ‘Her Heart for a Compass’ when she said of Andrew: “I completely stand by Andrew 100 percent.”

She added that the happiest day of her life was her wedding day back in 1986, “when I married the best man in the world”.

Buckingham Palace has been approached for comment.

Source: Read Full Article