Meghan Markle: Commentator discusses social media decision
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are understood to have turned their back on social media after becoming alienated by the “hate” they have encountered online. An insider close to the couple said they have “no plans” to use social media in the future, even for their new Archewell Foundation.
The source also told the Sunday Times the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have become disillusioned by social media after the “hate” they experienced.
The couple has become increasingly vocal about the dangers of social media in recent months.
In October, Meghan spoke about her own encounters with online abuse.
She told the Teenage Therapy podcast: “I’m told that in 2019, I was the most-trolled person in the entire world — male or female.
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
“Eight months of that, I wasn’t even visible.
“I was on maternity leave with a baby, but what was able to be manufactured and churned out — it’s almost unsurvivable.
“That’s so big, you can’t even think of what that feels like.
“Because I don’t care if you’re 15 or 25, if people are saying things about you that aren’t true, what that does to your mental and emotional health is so damaging.”
JUST IN: Meghan Markle accused of ‘hiding from fans’ with ‘social media ban’
The Duchess also raised the issue during a virtual summit for American publication Fortune last year, where she said social media users were like “people addicted to drugs”.
Prince Harry has also commented on people’s prolific use of social media.
During a TIME100 summit, hosted with wife Meghan last year, the Queen’s grandson said people needed to “take back control” of their use of social media and devices.
He said: “What is happening in the online world is affecting the world.
Meghan Markle and Harry ‘still bound’ by crucial pledge to Queen [DETAILS]
Royal Family LIVE: Meghan Markle and Harry set for tense reunion with William and Kate [BLOG]
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry ‘quit’ social media over ‘hate’ [INSIGHT]
“This is a global crisis of hate, a global crisis of misinformation, and a global health crisis.”
The couple used to have a popular Instagram account named SussexRoyal, which amassed more than 10million followers.
But since the couple officially stood down as senior working royals last March, Meghan and Harry have stopped using the account.
In their last post they hinted at taking a leave from social media by saying “while you may not see us here, the work continues”.
Meghan used to have a large social media following before marrying Harry in May 2018.
The former Suits actress had more than 1.9 million followers on Instagram, as well as over 350,000 Twitter followers and 800,000 Facebook likes.
Source: Read Full Article