Royal shock: Belgium’s Prince makes heartfelt apology over lockdown party

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

The 28-year-old who has tested positive for coronavirus said he regretted his actions and would accept the consequences. Currently tenth in line to the Belgian throne, Joachim is the son of Princess Astrid, the younger sister of King Philippe. In a statement to People, Joachim said: “I would like to apologise for travelling and not having respected the quarantine measure.

“I did not intend to offend or disrespect anyone in these very difficult times and deeply regret my actions and accept the consequences.”

It is understood Joachim travelled to Spain for an internship on May 26.

He attended a party in Cordoba on May 28 and according to a Belgian court official, started showing symptoms of coronavirus on May 29.

Spanish media report 27 people attended the party.

The lockdown restrictions in Cordoba at the time forbid a gathering of larger than 15 people.

However, the Belgian royal family have said that only 12 people were present.

Spanish authorities have launched an investigation into the events and the party goers have all been ordered into quarantine.

Individual fines for breaching lockdown could be up to €10,000 (£8,974).

Prince Laurent said earlier this month: “We do not know how, but the coronavirus has entered our household.”

Laurent is the youngest sibling of Phillipe and Astrid.

At the time of writing, Spain has suffered 27,128 confirmed coronavirus deaths.

This is out of around 240,000 confirmed cases.

DON’T MISS

Queen makes hilarious appearance at garden party – PICTURES (LATEST)
The royal reunion Prince Harry will be devastated to miss (NEWS)
Royal shock: How Queen’s trooping the colour WILL be taking place (INSIGHT)

Madrid has however reported no deaths for the last 48 hours, something which had not occurred since March.

Belgium has suffered 9,522 deaths from 58,685 cases.

The Belgian government has received fierce criticism of its handling of the outbreak.

Belgium leads all other nations in deaths per capita.

Prime Minister Sophie Wilmes visited Hospital Saint-Pierre in Brussels.

The staff and visitors lining the streets towards the entrance turned their backs on Ms Wilmes’ convoy in protest.

Ms Wilmes had previously suggested Belgium might be over reporting coronavirus deaths.

Princess María Teresa of Bourbon-Parma was the first known royal to die of coronavirus, aged 86.

She was nicknamed The Red Princess due to her history as a socialist political activist.

Source: Read Full Article