Sarah Everard: Wayne Couzens pleads guilty to murder
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The accused appeared at Old Bailey in London by video link from Belmarsh Jail, where he is currently being held.
He wore a light blue sweater and khaki trousers.
Couzens bowed his head and spoke in a whisper as he entered his guilty plea to murder.
Five of Ms Everard’s family members attended the packed court 12 at the Old Bailey.
Prosecutor Tom Little QC told the court: “Before the defendant kidnapped Sarah Everard on the South Circular on March 3 this year, he had not previously met her, he did not know her and had no direct or indirect contact with her.
“They were total strangers to each other.”
Jim Sturman QC, defending, said: “His pleas today represents a truly guilty plea and remorse for what he did and, as he put it to us this morning, he will bear the burden for the rest of his life – his words: ‘as I deserve’.”
The judge in the case, Lord Justice Fulford, has set a two-day sentencing hearing from September 29.
The 48-year-old, a London officer who guarded diplomatic premises, had previously admitted rape and kidnap.
Ms Everard, 33, was abducted as she walked home from a friend’s house in south London on March 3.
Police launched an urgent inquiry after Ms Everard was reported missing by her boyfriend Josh Lowth.
A week after she disappeared, her body was found in a woodland stream in Ashford, Kent.
This was 50 miles away in southeast England and just metres away from land owned by Couzens.
A post-mortem found she had died as a result of compression to the neck.
Following his arrest, Couzens made no comment in a formal interview and was charged on March 12.
Last month, Couzens also pleaded guilty to Ms Everard’s kidnap and rape.
THIS IS A BREAKING STORY. MORE TO FOLLOW…
Source: Read Full Article