Schoolgirl finds two handguns in river while fishing

A schoolgirl was left shocked after she found two handguns from the bottom of a river while magnet fishing. Madison Mcphail,16, was searching for metal objects in the River Gipping beneath a bridge near her home in Ipswich, Suffolk when she stumbled across the weapons.

She was with her father when the incident occurred and they have now handed over the rusting guns to the police.

Police are examining to assess whether the guns were dumped after being involved in a crime, reported The Telegraph.

Her father Craig McPhail, 42, said: “It was her first throw of her magnet into the water.”

He said his daughter pulled out a Colt handgun using his powerful Evolution Xtreme magnet, which he bought three years ago for £160.

He continued: “She had to sort out a knot in the rope and then pulled the magnet through the water and found the gun on the end.

“It had Colt written down the side and still had its magazine inserted in it, so it could have been loaded.

“But it was all corroded and rusted so the button to release the magazine was not working, which meant we couldn’t see if there were any bullets inside.

“We were both pretty shocked to see it and left wondering how it had got into the river and what it might have been used for.”

She carried on fishing at the same spot on Sunday, April 2, pulling out more pieces of scrap metal before finding a corroded Weihrauch HW45 .22 air pistol.

Mr Mcphail added: “The air pistol appeared on the end of a magnet about 20 minutes after the first one.

“It had a longer barrel and looked like a proper handgun.

“My partner convinced me to call the police while we were still down by the bridge.

Don’t miss…
Tiny dog causes panic after it scoffed massive Easter egg [INSIGHT]
Terrifying moment Mercedes crashes with van at junction [VIDEO]
House destroyed in Liverpool in blast as woman escapes unharmed [SPOTLIGHT]

“Some officers came down to have a look and got on the phone to see if there was an armed response team around, but in the end they bagged them up and took them away.

“They seemed pretty grateful to get them, but I have not heard anything from them since.”

A Suffolk Constabulary spokesman said: “Officers have recovered the weapons which appear to have been in the water for a considerable length of time.”

Source: Read Full Article