Taser and stun grenade used on man before fatal police shooting

Derby: Police cordon in place on Ascot Drive

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

A Taser, baton round and a stun grenade were used in an attempt to stop a man wielding a knife and damaging property outside a police station, watchdog Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) found.

Marius Ciolac, 35, suffered a single bullet wound to the abdomen after being shot by an armed police officer. 

The IOPC, which is investigating the incident, said three knives were found at the scene and all police officers are being treated as witnesses at this stage.

A single shot was fired from a police firearm at the scene. The numerous bangs heard on the morning of Mr Ciolac’s death were seemingly from a multi-bang stun grenade which was used in an attempt to incapacitate him in the car park in Derby.

Mr Ciolac, who was Romanian, worked in the building trade and had been behaving erratically in the days prior to his death. His solicitor said he “clearly had mental health problems”. He was seen taking banknotes from his wallet and writing on them, telling people he “did not need it,” solicitor Theo Addae told Derbyshire Live.

But the IOPC said the man had caused damage to the police station by smashing windows on Friday, October 7, the day of his death.

A spokesman for the watchdog said: “Our investigators are working hard to establish all the circumstances surrounding the death of Marius Ciolac, aged 35, a Romanian national with no family in the UK. Although Mr Ciolac has been named, formal identification has yet to take place.

“From information gathered so far, we can confirm that Derbyshire Constabulary officers in an armed response vehicle were called to the building by the force control room at around 9.55am after officers inside reported seeing a man with a knife in the police station car park causing damage to property. This included smashing glass in the entrance door from the car park and windows around it.

“We have established that attempts were made to stop him, including use of a multi-bang stun grenade, discharge of a baton round and a Taser, before a police firearm was discharged at about 10.03am. Mr Ciolac was provided with first aid by officers and paramedics at the scene before being taken by ambulance to hospital in Nottingham, where he sadly died later that morning.

“We can confirm one shot was fired from a police issue firearm, which will be subject to further ballistics tests. Three knives of various sizes were recovered from the scene.

“The provisional finding of a post-mortem examination held on Monday (10 October) was that Mr Ciolac died from a single gunshot wound to the abdomen.”

Derbyshire Police is now being investigated by IOPC. 

An inquest into Mr Ciolac’s death will open in due course.

IOPC Regional Director Derrick Campbell said: “We have made contact with Mr Ciolac’s family in Romania and Italy to explain our role, and our heartfelt sympathies are with them and everyone else affected by this tragic incident.

“A lot of rumour about the tragic events of Friday morning has been reported and while it is natural for people to want answers quickly about what happened, I would ask that people show patience and refrain from further speculation out of respect for Mr Ciolac’s family and for everyone involved.

“We are committed to carrying out a full and thorough investigation of all the circumstances. While there is still a lot of work to do, we have gathered initial accounts from the officers involved and other witnesses from the emergency services. CCTV footage has been reviewed and we are gathering a large amount of police body worn video.

“We are also in the process of contacting members of the public identified as potential witnesses who may be able to assist our inquiries.”

Source: Read Full Article