Bashir inquiry: Harry and William want 'further’ action says expert
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Prince William has made his feelings clear on Lord Dyson’s report into Princess Diana’s interview with BBC journalist Martin Bashir. Sky News reported that “this is not the end” for the Prince and that he wants the investigation to “go further”. Both Prince William and Prince Harry released statements following the conclusion of Lord Dyson’s investigation into Princess Diana’s 1995 Panorama interview with Martin Bashir.
The Duke of Cambridge said that he was “most saddened” to hear that his mother had been deceived and that the BBC’s failings had “not only let my mother down, and my family down, they let the public down too”.
He also stressed that the false narrative portrayed by the interview needed to be looked at once again.
In a video statement, he said that BBC’s failures had contributed significantly to “her fear, paranoia and isolation” and had worsened the relationship between his parents.
Prince Harry released a similar statement, blaming the “ripple effect of a culture of exploitation and unethical practices” which ultimately led to his mother’s death.
READ MORE: Diana’s panic over Queen and Charles ‘plot’ over William and Harry
Sky News also reported that the Met Police have said they will assess the findings of the new report, after previously deciding against a criminal investigation.
Lord Dyson’s report found that the journalist Martin Bashir had acted in a “deceitful” way by forging bank statements to obtain access to the Princess. Bashir had faked documents that falsely showed that individuals in Diana’s household were being paid to keep her under surveillance.
These documents were shown to the Earl Spencer, Princess Diana’s brother and ultimately led to Bashir obtaining an audience with the “vulnerable” Princess.
A 1996 investigation by former BBC Director Tony Hall had concluded that no wrongdoing had taken place by the Panorama team. Martin Bashir went on to become Religion Editor at the BBC.
The Panorama interview was broadcasted in 1995 and reached an audience of over 20 million people. It sparked a major controversy as the Princess of Wales revealed intimate information about her marriage to Prince Charles along with details about her bulimia and self-harming.
It was the first time a serving member of the Royal Family had conducted such a personal interview.
She admitted to having an affair and commented “there were three of us in this marriage”, regarding her husband’s long-term affair with his current wife Camilla Parker-Bowles.
The Queen wrote to both Prince Charles and Princess Diana shortly after the interview was aired, telling them to divorce.
Earl Spencer insists deceitful interview DID contribute to Diana’s death
How old were Prince Harry and Prince William when Princess Diana died?
‘She’s an icon’: Princess Diana still biggest royal style influencer with love for blazers
Princess Diana died at 36 on August 31, 1997 in a car crash in Paris. She and boyfriend Dodi Fayed were being pursued by the paparazzi, causing the car to lose control.
Her death caused an outpouring of grief and her funeral on September 6, was viewed by over 32 million people.
Both Prince William and Prince Harry have spoken about the tragic circumstances around their mother’s death. Prince Harry has frequently criticised the media and has compared the treatment of his wife to the harrassment his mother endured.
He told chat show host Oprah Winfrey in March that he “was worried history was repeating itself” with regards to the media frenzy surrounding Meghan Markle.
Source: Read Full Article