Toddler 'died hours after doctor sent her home with Calpol'

The heartbroken parents of a toddler who died hours after being sent home from hospital fear chances may have been missed to save her.

Hailey Thompson was given Calpol when she was diagnosed with a virus at Wigan Infirmary on December 17.

Her parents were instructed to take her home and give her plenty of fluid but she deteriorated rapidly.

The following morning parents Kris Thompson, 32, and Iboyla Adam, 35, found the 22-month-old unresponsive in her bed.

Despite desperate efforts to revive her nothing could be done and she died soon after.

An investigation has been launched after her grieving parents claimed more could have been done to prevent her sudden death.

Kris said: ‘We can’t believe we have lost our little girl. It all happened so quickly. Something in her body took control of her.

‘When we found her at 5.30am on Monday she was lying in exactly the same position I had seen her in when I went to bed at midnight, only she was stiff and her skin discoloured.

‘It was a horrible sight and will haunt me for the rest of my life.

‘We knew in our hearts she had gone but I rang 999 and screamed down the phone that our daughter was dying so they got me to do CPR until the fast response paramedic arrived.

‘But she couldn’t revive her and she was pronounced dead at hospital.’

Hailey had been prescribed antibiotics the week before but had to stop taking them due to an allergic reaction and her illness eventually turned into a viral infection.

A week later she was given Calpol by a doctor and seemed to improve but her parents found her panting in bed.

When the ambulance didn’t show up, Kris drove her to A&E and waited for five hours to see a doctor, before being told take her home.

After a day of nervously watching her cold symptoms, she was put to bed at around 6pm and was dead hours later.

Wigan Infirmary was experiencing one of its busiest-ever days on Sunday 18th and a ‘critical incident’ was later declared by the department.

Her parents said she was ‘gasping for breath like a 90-year-old’ when they got to the hospital, adding: ‘We want answers. How can a healthy baby die in her sleep?

‘And why wasn’t she tested for strep A, scarlet fever or Covid for instance?’

A post-mortem examination cannot be carried out until Dec 28, leaving the pair facing an agonising wait for answers and police have passed the details onto the coroner.

A spokesperson for Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust said: ‘Our sincere condolences go out to Hailey’s family at this tragic time.

‘We are aware of the family’s concerns and are currently awaiting further information to understand more.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source: Read Full Article