Tributes to lifelong Everton fan who died during work on club's new stadium

The family of an Everton supporter who died carrying out construction work at the club’s new stadium have paid tribute to the ‘lifelong blue’.

Michael Jones, 26, from Kirkby, Merseyside, lost his life on Monday after being injured at Bramley-Moore Dock in Liverpool.

Emergency services had been called to the scene at about 1pm.

In a statement issued this morning, Mr Jones’ family said: ‘The family would like to thank everyone for their ongoing support. It is with our greatest sadness that our beloved son, brother, uncle and friend Michael has sadly passed away.

‘He was a lifelong blue who was so happy to be working on the new stadium. We want to thank the NHS staff and work colleagues who did their best for Michael. He will be missed beyond words.’

A spokesman for Merseyside Police said the force was working jointly with the Health and Safety Executive and enquiries remained ongoing.

A post-mortem examination to establish the cause of death was due to take place on Wednesday, the force said.

On Monday, Everton FC tweeted that everyone at the club was ‘heartbroken’ by the news.

Everyone at Everton Football Club is heartbroken by the news a male worker has died following an incident at the Everton Stadium site at Bramley-Moore Dock.

The thoughts and condolences of everyone connected with Everton are with his family, friends, and colleagues at this…

The club said: ‘The thoughts and condolences of everyone connected with Everton are with his family, friends and colleagues at this unimaginably sad time.’

A spokesman for stadium contractor Laing O’Rourke said: ‘We can confirm that earlier today a member of our team, who was carrying out work for one of our sub-contractors, was seriously injured in an incident. He was taken to hospital via ambulance, where he sadly died.

‘We are shocked and saddened by today’s tragic incident and our thoughts are with the family and friends of the deceased man and our wider project team.

‘The police and the Health and Safety Executive are on site and we have suspended work until further notice.’

Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]. Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Follow on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.

Source: Read Full Article