Woman, 20, dies of overdose her mum thought was just a bad hangover

A young woman died in hospital before making it into emergency surgery after she took an overdose following a weekend of partying.

Shannon Hewat started being sick last Monday and was given dried toast, biscuits and water by mum Lorna, who initially thought her daughter was suffering with a hangover.

But Shannon, from Lincoln, later admitted to her mum the real reason that she was so sick and an ambulance was immediately called.

She was taken to a hospital in Birmingham for an emergency liver transplant but died before making it into surgery. Doctors confirmed Shannon had suffered multiple organ failure.

Lorna, 49, told Lincolnshire Live: ‘I refused to believe it. I was shouting at the doctors to help her. I knew she wouldn’t leave me.

‘She was supposed to go for a liver transplant, she only had a couple of hours to hold on. I have just been in complete shock, I still can’t believe it.

‘I am just waiting for her to come through the door and every now and then I can hear her voice in the house.

‘I would do anything for her just to come in and chuck her stuff on the floor even though we have a coat-rack.’

Friends and family have paid tribute to Shannon, who worked as a claims advisor and was known for her love of going out dancing.

She was initially taken by ambulance to Lincoln General Hospital where she was separated from her mum due to coronavirus restrictions. 

By last Wednesday she was in a critical condition and in a coma and doctors decided to transfer her to Birmingham for the transplant. 

Despite fears she wouldn’t survive the journey, Shannon clung on and her mum and brother Connor, 19, were able to spend some time at her bedside. 

Lorna left to check into a nearby hotel to get some sleep, but shortly afterwards received a phone call with the devastating news.

She said: ’We were very, very close. Even during the lockdown I said to my mum it was a full-time job just texting Shannon all day.

‘I didn’t text many people because my hands would be sore because Shannon would text me constantly all day even if she was in the house.

‘I have two boys, but mums and daughters are very close. It was like we were joined at the hip, we were best friends.’

Lorna is now finalising the details of the funeral and Shannon will eventually be buried in Scotland alongside her uncle and grandfather.

A fundraiser set up in her name has already raised more than £3,000 and Lorna says it is the generosity of Shannon’s friends which is helping to get her through. 

She said: ‘There are no words I can say to people to say thank you for their generosity and messages of support.

‘Whether they have sent a donation or not, everyone has been unbelievable.

‘The amount of friend requests I am getting from Shannon’s friends is incredible.’

Source: Read Full Article