Woman, 78, brought 'back from the dead' with Guinness and raw eggs

A retired pub landlady hours from death made a ‘miracle recovery’ thanks to a special remedy – a pint of Guinness mixed with three raw eggs.

Maggie Ives, 78, was moved into a nursing home earlier this year for end-of-life care suffering from chronic kidney and cardiovascular disease.

Her family were advised to start making funeral plans amid fears she may not survive the night.

But somehow the lifelong smoker managed to turn the tide and battle back – thanks in large part to a trusted ‘little tipple’.

Maggie, who also has Parkinson’s disease, said: ‘I’m a medical miracle. I feel like I’ve come back from the dead.

‘Subie, the lady who admitted me, said her goodbyes to me that night. She did not expect to see me in the morning.

‘I had 133 different antibiotics by drip. I didn’t even know where I was. I don’t remember the ambulance man coming and taking me away or anything.

‘When I made it through the night I asked the staff if I could try an old recipe of mine when I used to feel rough years ago.

‘I’m a great believer in raw eggs and Guinness – I swear by it. You don’t even taste the eggs at all. You just swallow them down. I’ve been doing that quite a long time.

‘Whenever I used to feel ill I’d always have half-a-pint of Guinness with two raw eggs dropped in, if it’s a pint you need three eggs.

‘I just drop the eggs in, never mix it up, and then just drink it. It does the trick.

‘As soon as I woke up in the care home after my time in hospital, I asked for Guinness and eggs and literally days later I started feeling better.

‘Obviously the staff here are amazing but I absolutely swear by my little tipple.

‘But I survived the night and since drinking my little remedy every day, sometimes more than once, I’ve never felt better.’

Widowed Maggie was living in sheltered accommodation in Malvern, Worcestershire, when she fell over and broke her pelvis in February.

She was moved into Henwick Grange with multiple other health problems and given palliative care.

Maggie, who is also a former nurse and turns 79 next month, added: ‘I can’t even tell you what hospital I was in.

‘All I can tell you is I was in there 22 weeks. I kept coming and going, slipping in and out of consciousness.

‘I was hallucinating. I was at end of life. My brother and sister were called in so they could register my death and go to the undertaker.

‘Since coming to Henwick Grange I’ve been given a new lease of life. I can’t fault the staff here from the laundry lady to the cleaners and from the carers to the management.

‘Whatever food I want, I order. If I want scampi every day, I have scampi every day. They’re all very kind. I’m even walking again now. I haven’t walked for two years.

‘I’m staying here until they kick me out. This is my home. They are angels to me. I feel as happy and as strong as I have felt in years.’

Susan Mitchell, known as Subie, a nurse assistant and acting deputy manager, said: ‘She was palliative, end of life. She just improved and improved. She is so strong. I’m impressed by her spirit.

‘I have never seen so dramatic a turnaround before.’

Lisa Odlin, business development manager, said: ‘Our ethos is for our home to be a home from home. We have a positive, open and welcoming culture.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source: Read Full Article