Woman dies after drinking entire bottle of poppers

A woman lost her life after downing a whole bottle of poppers marked as ‘not for human consumption’ with a skull and crossbones warning label.

She fell ill on May 6 and died the same day after drinking the £3.99 bottle of XL Gold, bought from an off-licence in Arbroath, Angus.

The sexual stimulant is usually taken by inhaling the liquid’s vapour, containing isopropyl nitrite. It gives users an instant high while relaxing muscles, making anal sex easier.

It is sold legally, but cannot be advertised as for human consumption. The drug is often marketed as a room odouriser or cleaning product as well as to enhance sexual pleasure.

A police report revealed the unnamed Scottish woman died after drinking a bottle bought from a shop named Party Time.

Officers have now asked Angus Council to review the business’s licence. An application to go before the licensing board on Thursday said: ‘A male customer bought two bottles of XL Gold from the premises.

‘He took them home and gave one to a female, who drunk the whole bottle and subsequently fell ill and passed away that same day.

A police enquiry concluded that “XL gold” is not for human consumption. The product is chiefly either a room odouriser or cleaning product.

As it contains isopropyl nitrite, which is commonly referred to as “poppers”, some people use it to inhale to get a “quick high”.’

A licensing officer visited the shop on July 3 and interviewed licence holder Mohammed Naseem.

The officer’s report said Mr Naseem had been stocking the product for at least a year and ‘understood that the point of the product was for the smell’.

At the time of the visit it was displayed on the counter among miniature bottles of alcohol but Mr Naseem said it was normally kept behind the counter.

When asked by the officer her said it had always been clear the product was not alcohol and had never been sold or advertised as such, according to the report.

It adds: ‘He told me, however, he does accept that the box being on the counter instead of being packed away as it normally was, may have caused confusion on the day in question.

‘He also told me that the bottle has clear indications on it that it should not be consumed, with prominent skull and crossbones on the bottle, as well as a clear danger message and the actions that should be carried out if the product is consumed.’

XL Gold is marketed online as to be ‘used to enhance sexual pleasure for men and women’ and as ‘room aroma odourisers’.

Representing Mr Naseem licensing law specialist Janet Hood said she could not discuss details of the case before the board meeting.

She added: ‘Obviously my client is extremely upset that the woman died but the product is legal and was sold legally.

‘It is terribly unfortunate but the product is clearly marked as not being for human consumption and in my opinion a shop cannot be held responsible for decisions someone chooses to make at home.

‘There a number of household products from bleach to shampoo that are sold legally but should not be drunk. It is a terrible tragedy.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source: Read Full Article