Harvey Weinstein Victims Win $19 Million Settlement In Civil Case
A group of women in the entertainment industry who sued Harvey Weinstein over allegations of sexual harassment, sexual abuse and rape announced Tuesday evenng they have reached an $18.875 million settlement with Harvey Weinstein, The Weinstein Company Holdings and certain former officers, directors and employees of TWC.
Plaintiffs Louisette Geiss, Sarah Ann Thomas, Melissa Thompson, Melissa Sagemiller, Nannette May, Katherine Kendall, Caitlin Dulany, Larissa Gomes and a Jill Doe filed their motion for preliminary approval of the class action settlement today in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. If approved by the court, the settlement will create a victims’ fund allowing all women who were abused by Harvey Weinstein under certain circumstances to make claims for damages in a confidential and non-adversarial process.
Filed in November 2017, the class action lawsuit alleges that Harvey Weinstein was a serial sexual harasser and abuser, and the various companies with which he was affiliated, as well as certain respective current and former officers and directors, failed to stop or prevent his actions in violation of federal and state law.
Colorado election results: 2020 primary
The latest Colorado election results for the 2020 primary election.
For complete results, visit elections.denverpost.com.
Worst flooding in over 45 years hits northwest Saskatchewan: ‘Our road is underwater’
“Rare” flooding in the northwest has community members concerned they could be cut off from food and other essentials for weeks.
A high flow is making its way down the Beaver River, hitting the Beauval area.
Minor League Baseball Cancels 2020 Season As Coronavirus Spikes
Fans won’t be buying any peanuts or Cracker Jack at minor league ballparks this year. And they won’t be buying any tickets, either. Minor League Baseball said today that it has canceled its 2020 season amid the coronavirus pandemic.
This will be the first season without minor league ball since MiLB the precursor National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues was founded in 1901.
Say it ain’t so.
“These are unprecedented times for our country and our organization as this is the first time in our history that we’ve had a summer without Minor League Baseball played,” MiLB president Pat O’Conner said in a statement. “While this is a sad day for many, this announcement removes the uncertainty surrounding the 2020 season and allows our teams to begin planning for an exciting 2021 season of affordable family entertainment.”
The MiLB’s 2020 season was put on hold in mid-March along with the Big Leagues and other major sports as COVID-19 spread throughout the U.S.
So now the nation turns its lonely eyes to Major League Baseball, which said last week that its truncated 60-game regular season would start in late July. Since then, however, the coronavirus has seen a marked spike in cases around the country, and several MLB have opted out of participating.
Meanwhile, there’s no joy in Mudville today.
Coronavirus: Layoffs at Saskatchewan Polytechnic due to ‘challenging fiscal realities’
Saskatchewan Polytechnic (Sask Polytech) says 45 employees have received permanent layoff notices as the novel coronavirus pandemic continues to impact the education sector.
The post-secondary institution said the suspension of the majority of on-campus operations has resulted in significant reductions or stoppages of work, including some that can’t be done remotely.
Nova Scotia’s plan for students to return to school coming in late July: Centres for Education
Nova Scotia students are scheduled to return to school in September, but it won’t be until late July that the province will provide details, two centres of education have told parents.
Saskatoon Blades gamble on player with local ties in CHL import draft
The Saskatoon Blades felt they were playing with house money in this year’s Canadian Hockey League (CHL) import draft, so they decided to gamble on a long shot.
Dun & Bradstreet Prices IPO Of 78.30 Mln Shares At $22/shr
Dun & Bradstreet Holdings Inc. said that it has priced its initial public offering of 78.30 million shares at price of $22.00 per share.
The shares are expected to begin trading on the New York Stock Exchange on July 1, 2020 under the symbol “DNB.”
The initial public offering is expected to close on July 6, 2020.
In addition, the underwriters have been granted a 30-day option to purchase up to an additional 11.75 million shares at the initial public offering price, less underwriting discounts and commissions.
Airbus Plans To Cut 15,000 Jobs Worldwide
Airbus (EADSF.PK,EADSY.PK) plans to cut 15,000 jobs worldwide, after a nearly 40 percent drop in commercial aircraft business activity in recent months due to the Covid-9 crisis.
The European aerospace giant said that it doesn’t expect air traffic to return to pre-Covid-19 levels before 2023 and potentially as late as 2025.
The company also stated that the job cuts will need to be discussed with labor unions with a view to reaching agreements for implementation starting in autumn 2020. The Job cuts are expected to be completed no later than summer 2021.
It plans to cut 5,100 jobs in Germany, 5,000 in France, 1,700 in the U.K., 900 in Spain and 1,300 jobs at its other worldwide sites.
The Job cuts include the company’s subsidiaries Stelia in France and Premium Aerotec in Germany. However, it does not include about 900 positions stemming from a pre-Covid-19 identified need to restructure Premium Aerotec in Germany, which will now be implemented, the company said.
Airbus said it will work with its social partners to limit the impact of the plan by relying on all available social measures, including voluntary departures, early retirement, and long term partial unemployment schemes where appropriate.
Meanwhile, the Unite union said the company announcement is “another act of industrial vandalism” against the UK aerospace sector.