Brexit LIVE: Furious fishermen lash out at UK’s huge compromise – ‘We’ll give you HELL!’

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Fishing for Leave issued their blunt assessment after Express.co.uk reported a compromise between UK negotiator Lord David Frost and EU counterpart Michel Barnier was in the offing. Fishing rights have been a key sticking point, with Britain wanting quotas to be negotiated on an annual basis and Brussels demanding concrete reassurances about post-Brexit access to UK waters.

Now it seems the finer details with respect to quotas may be delayed until a later date, permitting EU fishermen to continue operating in UK fishing waters from January 1, 2021.

Fishing for Leave, which played a leading role in the 2016 referendum campaign, used both its official Facebook and Twitter pages to respond to Express.co.uk’s story.

And it condemned the idea in a message aimed squarely at the Prime Minister, saying: “If kicking us into the long grass is true v.disappointing.

“Danger that temporary becomes permanent.

“We’ve watched & waited because you’ve said the right things & stood fast thus far @BorisJohnson.

“But sell us out & we’ll be back to give you hell.”

With less than two months to go before the end of the transition period, the pressure is on both sides to strike a deal.

Tory MP Daniel Kawczynski is among those who have warned Mr Johnson against compromises on fishing.

[SCROLL DOWN FOR REGULAR UPDATES]

JUST IN: Trump could run again in 2024 – and may want a THIRD term

7.52am update: “There is a deal to be had,” insists UK fishing chief

There is a deal to struck between the UK and the EU when it comes to fishing rights, a UK-based fishing chief has said in the wake of dire warnings by French counterparts.

Fishermen in Boulogne and Calais yesterday warned they were ready to blockade UK fish to prevent them from being sold in their country if the EU signs up for a trade deal which denies them access to UK waters at the end of the year.

Barry Deas, chief executive of the National Federation of Fishermen’s Organisations (NFFO) told Express.co.uk: “I think that a deal that would provide access for French fishermen to fish in UK waters, outside the 12 mile limit, is on offer to the EU in the current negotiations.

“But the quid pro quo is that France and the EU more generally will have to move on quota shares to secure that arrangement.

“In the Channel the UK share of the cod quota is nine percent and the French share is 84 percent.

“For Celtic Sea haddock the UK share is 10 percent and the French share is 66 percent. In both cases the UK share should be around 50 percent.”

7.42am update: “Don’t sell us out,” fishermen warn Johnson

Boris Johnson has been warned any perception he is “selling out” the industry in an EU trade deal will prompt a furious response from British fishermen.

Fishing for Leave issued their blunt assessment after Express.co.uk reported a compromise between UK negotiator Lord David Frost and EU counterpart Michel Barnier was in the offing.

They tweeted: “If kicking us into the long grass is true v.disappointing.

“Danger that temporary becomes permanent.

“We’ve watched & waited because you’ve said the right things & stood fast thus far Boris Johnson

“But sell us out & we’ll be back to give you hell!”

7.37am update: Fresh bid to EXTEND Brexit transition period launched sparking fury – ‘NOT POSSIBLE’

Brexit supporters have been enraged by a petition seeking to force the Prime Minister to extend the transition period by a year, as thousands of signatories say the COVID crisis is reason enough to ask the EU for more time.

The online petition is aiming to gather 100,000 signatures to push the Government into requesting an extension and also holding a referendum on any trade deal.

The call, which has so far been backed by 10,000 people, comes amid the ongoing trade talks between David Frost and Michel Barnier.

Lead petitioner Bob Downie praised those who had put their names to the list, saying it was “cool” that thousands of people were in support of the drive and insisted the “Government must respond”.

But Brexit supporters were not at all impressed by his petition, with many arguing the boat for a second vote had passed long ago.

Source: Read Full Article