We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
Tory MP John Redwood has said the UK must stand firm on its fishing aims and even suggested we renegade on one of our existing commitments with the EU. The Brexiteer suggested we ignore EU concerns and prioritise the UK’s fishing industry instead.
Mr Redwood wrote on Twitter: “The UK should withdraw any offer of a three-year further transition for fish.
“Offer the EU no quota for next year so we can rebuild our fish stocks and expand our own industry.”
Last month Britain offered the EU a three-year transition period for European fishing boats, to allow them to prepare for post-Brexit changes.
The move was offered to highlight the UK’s willingness to broker a deal with the bloc.
As part of the three-year transition period, European fishing quotas between 2021 and 2024 will be scaled back in a bid to give foreign fleets more time to adjust to the post-Brexit changes.
The move would see both sides agree to a percentage share of fishing stocks linked to their economic zones on a yearly basis.
But despite the offer, the teams have failed to reach an agreement on the future of fisheries.
The UK is vying for a new approach to fishing, which will see annual negotiations on fishing and the calculation of opportunities using the zonal attachment method.
JUST IN: Brexit LIVE: Boris ready to shut the door and walk away from EU talks
But Brussels wants to stick with the status quo and follow the existing quota system.
French President Emmanuel Macron is leading the demands to not offer any concessions on fisheries.
He has refused any change to the current arrangements, saying he won’t abandon the country’s fishermen.
On Thursday Mr Macron warned, “our fishermen will not be the victims of Brexit”.
Brexiteers rage at Verhofstadt after smug ‘humble pie’ tweet [INSIGHT]
EU cracks showing as Macron and Merkel clash on Brexit [DETAILS]
Frost puts UK on no-deal brink as EU ‘no longer committed’ to talks [ANALYSIS]
He added: “We didn’t make that choice. The British people did.”
Mr Macron made his latest threat on fisheries as he arrived for the beginning of a crucial two-day European Council Summit in Brussels yesterday.
Boris Johnson said last month if a deal had not been reached by the conclusion of the summit, he would walk away from the talks and pursue a no deal Brexit.
David Frost, the UK’s chief Brexit negotiator, last night indicated the Prime Minister could well walk away from the talks.
The Brexit envoy said he was “disappointed” with the outcome of the first day of the summit, despite the EU committing to continuing with talks next week.
The EU has offered to continue the talks next week, with Michel Barnier – Lord Frost’s EU counterpart, offering to bring his team to London on Monday.
Mr Johnson is due to make a decision on the matter later today, where he will announce if the UK will walk away from the negotiating table.
Source: Read Full Article