Asake Brixton crush: 8 injured including 3 fighting for their lives after ‘3,000’ extra fans arrived at sold-out gig | The Sun

Three people are fighting for their lives after a crush at the O2 Academy in Brixton last night.

Met cops said they were called to reports a large number of people had attempted to force entry to the venue for singer Asake's show.

Eight people were rushed to hospital after the horror and four of which were in critical condition.

Police said three were still fighting for their life today.

Two more people were also injured, but treated at the scene.

The gig was called off part-way through, which angered many and sparked chaos as revellers demanded to know why.

Read more on news

Family pay tribute to brothers, 6 & 8, who died with cousin, 11, in lake

Ninth body pulled from rubble after horror ‘gas’ blast in Jersey

Delivering a message to fans inside the venue with a microphone, one man said: "3,000 people have broken the doors outside."

He added: "Because of security the police have asked us to close the show… this is nothing to do with us."

Members of the crowd can then be heard booing, and another man takes the microphone and says: "Please people, hold up one second.

"For your own safety listen please, please, please. There's people who have breached the door, they have broken in."

Most read in The Sun


How Sussexes' examples of 'truth' in Netflix doc stand up to reality


Fate of beloved BBC comedy revealed after nine series on screens


World Cup final referee announced after Michael Oliver was sent home


Harry & Meghan's cold-hearted betrayal of royals will make them unloved losers

Footage shared online appears to show clashes between fans and police, with a large emergency service presence at the scene.

It came after Nigerian star Asake, 27, known for his hit Sungba, posted on his Instagram that there were no more tickets available.

Last night was the final of his three shows at the venue.

The street remained cordoned off this morning, with clothes and rubbish still littering the street.

Speaking from outside the cordon, one woman told of how she was rushed to hospital after being stamped on in the chaos – she said she thought she was going to die.

Another ticket holder named Lauren said she "wasn't surprised" people were injured in the ordeal as she got shoved herself.

She told The Sun Online: "Straight after I got in, there was a massive heave through the doors.

"I got pushed hard from behind and am now limping. I had no idea what was happening and it was a traumatic experience.

"I'm not surprised that people were injured." 

Meanwhile a video emerged of a woman being thrown down stairs after tussle with cops, too.

Commander Colin Wingrove today said the incident was under review.


Asake has this morning issued a statement on Instagram.

He wrote: "My heart is with those who were injured last night and caused any form of discomfort. I pray you get well soonest.

"I am also in the process of reaching out to individuals. I still do not have the full brief from the venue management themselves as to what led to the disruption at the entrance of The Brixton Academy, but we are thankful that all was peaceful at the end.

"For my people who enjoyed the beginning of my performance, I am sorry that it was cut short. Thank you for your unbelievable love London. I love you too much! I'm looking forward to seeing you again in a bit!"

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, also confirmed this morning that an "urgent investigation" was underway.

He posted to Twitter: "My thoughts are with all those affected by the awful incident in Brixton last night.

"Eight people were taken to hospital, with four in a critical condition. An urgent investigation is already underway.

"I remain in close contact with the Met Commissioner & emergency services."


A Metropolitan Police spokesman said the force had reports of a large crowd trying to gain entry without tickets at 10.40pm.

He said: "Emergency services attended the O2 Academy in Brixton following reports that a number of people had been injured after a large crowd attempted to gain entry without tickets.

"Four people are in a critical condition at hospital. Officers will remain in the area to provide reassurance."

Commander Ade Adelekan said: “This is an extremely upsetting incident which has left four people critically ill in hospital. My thoughts and prayers are with them and their families.

“A police investigation has been launched, and it will be as thorough and as forensic as necessary to establish exactly what happened last night.

“The scene will be examined by specialist officers, CCTV will be viewed, every witness that we can make contact with will be spoken to and all other lines of enquiry will be followed.

“Officers are remaining in the area to provide reassurance to the local community in and around Brixton.

Read More on The Sun

I love my new Turkey teeth -but trolls think I’ll hate them in just a few years

Fate of beloved BBC comedy revealed after nine series on screens

“The Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards will view all video material, including Body Worn Video footage from the officers at the scene.“

The O2 Academy Brixton has been contacted for comment.

Source: Read Full Article