Buckingham Palace posts Prince Philip death announcement but will be forced to remove quickly due to Covid

STAFF at Buckingham Palace have today posted a notice announcing Prince Philip's death but will be forced to remove it due to Covid restrictions.

The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, who had been married to the Queen for 73 years and described as her constant strength, passed away "peacefully" at Windsor Castle this morning.

* Read our live blog for the very latest news on Prince Philip's death

Royal household staff placed a framed plaque announcing the death of the duke on the front gates of Buckingham Palace.

Around 30 people have begun queuing to read the sign as four police officers on horses stopped small crowds from gathering.

Royal reporter Richard Palmer tweeted: "The traditional announcement of a royal death has been posted on the railings at Buckingham Palace.

"It will be taken down quickly though to avoid crowds gathering because of Covid-19."

The Royal Family's official website has switched to a holding page in memory of the duke.

It features a central image of Philip on a black background, accompanied by the Palace's statement.

It comes as:

  • Prince Philip, 99, died at Windsor Castle this morning
  • Queen shared a poignant photo of Philip as she spoke of ‘deep sorrow’ over the loss of her husband of 73 years
  • Prince Philip funeral arrangements have been revealed
  • This Morning taken off air as Queen announces Philip’s death
  • Boris Johnson paid tribute to ‘extraordinary’ Prince Philip
  • The Duke of Edinburgh's early years were remembered after he felt Corfu on a warship
  • The Queen will be in eight days of mourning, it was reported

The Palace said: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

"His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle."




The Queen earlier shared a poignant photo of Philip as she talked of her "deep sorrow" in a heartfelt tribute to her "beloved" husband.

Further tributes to the duke will be announced in due course.

The royal passed away two months and one day short of what would have been his 100th birthday.

BBC radio stations immediately interrupted broadcasts with the news of his death and played the national anthem shortly after in a sign of respect.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson paid tribute and said “he helped to steer the Royal Family and the monarchy so that it remains an institution indisputably vital to the balance and happiness of our national life.”

Speaking from a podium in Downing Street, Mr Johnson said: "He was an environmentalist, and a champion of the natural world long before it was fashionable.


"With his Duke of Edinburgh awards scheme he shaped and inspired the lives of countless young people and at literally tens of thousands of events he fostered their hopes and encouraged their ambitions.

"We remember the duke for all of this and above all for his steadfast support for Her Majesty the Queen.

"Not just as her consort, by her side every day of her reign, but as her husband, her 'strength and stay', of more than 70 years.

"And it is to Her Majesty, and her family, that our nation's thoughts must turn today.

"Because they have lost not just a much-loved and highly respected public figure, but a devoted husband and a proud and loving father, grandfather and, in recent years, great-grandfather."

Philip's death comes just weeks after he was taken to London’s King Edward VII Hospital on February 16 after feeling unwell.

Two weeks later, he was transferred to St Bart’s Hospital for treatment for an infection and heart condition.

Buckingham Palace then announced on Tuesday, March 16 he had been released from hospital and was in "good spirits" and "comfortable".

Philip had dedicated his life to the Queen and tragically died just before his 100th birthday in June this year.

Source: Read Full Article