Coban Porter suspected in fatal crash that killed Kathy Limon Rothman

A woman killed in a two-vehicle crash in Denver involving Coban Porter, the brother of Denver Nuggets star Michael Porter Jr., worked as an Uber driver at night to support her 4-year-old son.

The crash happened about 2 a.m. Sunday at South University and East Buchtel boulevards, according to the Denver Police Department.

Kathy Limon Rothman, 42, was driving a customer while family cared for her son who was asleep at home, according to a GoFundMe page organized to aid Rothman’s family with expenses and the care of her child. The passenger in the Uber suffered severe injuries.

“Kathy was an incredible human being. She had a zest for life and she loved her family and friends fiercely,” the GoFundMe page said. “She was a ‘foodie’ like no other, and she loved traveling to explore new places and countries every opportunity that she had, and she loved to hike and explore.”

Her top priority, however, was her son, the page said.

“Our lives will never be the same without Kathy here, and we are heartbroken that her son will now have to face the rest of his life without his Mother due to this horrific, tragic and completely unnecessary accident,” the GoFundMe page said.

As of Friday night the GoFundMe page had raised over $10,000 with a goal of $50,000.

Porter, a 21-year-old University of Denver basketball player, was arrested on suspicion of vehicular homicide and reckless driving after the crash, police said.

Investigators allege that Porter was driving at about 50 mph headed east on Buchtel when he ran a red light at  University and crashed into Rothman’s vehicle, which was headed north on University. The posted speed limit at that intersection, which is close to the University of Denver’s campus, is 30 mph.

Police said Porter was suspected of driving under the influence. Porter had “bloodshot and watery eyes, slurred and mumbling speech, and the strong odor of an alcoholic beverage on his breath,” an officer wrote in an arrest affidavit.

Porter was arrested at the scene, police said. He was booked into the Denver jail and released on a $20,000 bond at about 4 p.m. Sunday, according to the Denver Sheriff Department.

Sign up to get crime news sent straight to your inbox each day.

Source: Read Full Article