Kensington Palace launches security review ‘after convicted torturer gets within feet of Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis’
- Darren Benjamin was jailed in 2008 for pouring boiling water on back of victim
- While delivering furniture he reportedly came within feet of Cambridge children
- Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis were with their nanny at time
Kensington Palace has launched a security review after a convicted torturer reportedly came within feet of Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Darren Benjamin, who was jailed for seven years in 2008, was delivering furniture on July 14 when he saw the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s children, reports the Sun.
The young royals were reportedly in the courtyard with their nanny Maria Teresa Borrallo at the time.
Benjamin, 40, had been working as a driver for an independent company when he entered the courtyard earlier this month.
A palace aide told the Sun: ‘As soon as it was brought to our attention an urgent security review was launched to check the current systems and procedures are appropriate.
Darren Benjamin, who was jailed for seven years in 2008, reportedly got within feet of Prince George in a huge security breach
Benjamin even bragged to friends about how ‘pleasant’ the future king, seven, is after the encounter on July 14
‘Pending the outcome there will be a refined level of risk assessment for those entering.’
Benjamin was convicted in 2008 for torturing Anthony Powell in Wolverhampton with two other men.
The group, all in ski masks, stabbed him in the leg and poured boiling water down his back before beating him, reports the Kilburn Times.
The gang tortured him for 20 minutes asking about a BMW Z4 which the victim knew nothing about.
A source said: ‘It’s chilling as he has been boasting to friends about just how close he came to our future king and the other Cambridge children.
‘His friends were shocked that he was able to get into the Palace and within touching distance of royalty given his past.’
Benjamin reportedly told friends that the future king was ‘pleasant’.
Kensington Palace has launched a security review in the wake of the incident earlier this month. Pictured: the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge with their children in 2018
A source said: ‘It’s chilling as he has been boasting to friends about just how close he came to our future king and the other Cambridge children.’ Pictured: the royals at the Chelsea Flower Show
A Buckingham Palace spokesperson told MailOnline: ‘All deliveries to the Royal estates operate under strict guidelines. This involves admittance of known consignments only, ID check on entry and escorting, at all times, of the driver and vehicle.
‘All deliveries are completed with oversight from Police Officers and Security Staff.’
The news comes after a 22-year-old man was arrested after he climbed over gates of Buckingham Palace as the Queen slept earlier this month.
The individual was able to bang on the door before being apprehended by the Met’s Royalty and Specialist Protection Command four minutes later – causing chaos at the palace as it was not known if he was armed.
It comes amid concerns the man may have been trying to emulate Michael Fagan, who was able to enter the Queen’s abode almost 37 years ago and have a ten minute conversation with her.
A royal source told The Sun: ‘There was an intruder at the Palace while the Queen lay sleeping in her bedroom and he was on the loose for a good few minutes before the cops arrested him.
‘He was determined to get inside the palace and was banging down the doors but, thank goodness, this time everything was locked up.’
Source: Read Full Article