Couple arrested over son’s murder ‘put through hell’ as cops search garden

A couple arrested on suspicion of murdering their missing son have been through “worse than hell” and insist they “don’t know” anything.

Doris and Charles Clark’s son Steven went missing 28 years ago in Marske-by-the-Sea, North Yorkshire.

The former police officers were arrested and questioned last week after cops carried out a cold case review.

They returned home on bail on September 22 as Cleveland Police reported a “significant” new witness.

A woman claims she saw Steven on Marske High Street between 3-4pm on December 28, 1992 – the day he disappeared.

This is after he was last seen by his mum at a public toilet in Saltburn, three miles away.

Officers have also spent five days searching their back garden.

David, 78, told the Daily Mirror: “I am amazed at the search, I have no idea at all why they did it.

"But I can’t say anything more because I am still under arrest and on police bail.”

Doris, 81, added: “This has been such an ordeal. We don’t know what happened to Steven.

"That is the problem when someone goes missing, you have no idea.

"It is the same now as it was then. We’ve had 28 years of not knowing.”

A friend of the Clarks said they had been through “worse than hell” since the arrest, adding: “I can’t say any more because it is too upsetting.”

Another neighbour said: “He (Steven) was well known, he loved to stop and chat.

"He would go on bus rides and find someone to talk to. This is dreadful for his parents.

"They have had 28 years without their son, and now this.”

Describing the latest line of inquiry, Det Chief Insp Shaun Page said: “This is an important development because we know it got dark that day at around 3.45pm.

"This potential sighting puts Steven in Marske before that time.

“We believe Steven was alive on December 28 between 3pm and 4pm close to his home address.

“We have carried out searches in the Marske area and these will be continuing.

"A lot of people knew Steven.

“I again appeal for people to come forward with any information, no matter how small or insignificant they think it is.

"I’d like to hear from anyone who saw Steven on Christmas bank holiday weekend in 1992, which was Friday, December 24, to Monday, December 27.”

Police also appealed for the writer of a letter delivered to Guisborough police station in 1999 to come forward.

The Clarks told the Mirror they were on police bail until October 12.

Daily Star Online has approached Cleveland Police for comment.

Source: Read Full Article