Girl, 15, charged after Katherine Jenkins is mugged and left in tears while protecting elderly woman from robbery

A TEENAGE girl has been charged after Katherine Jenkins was mugged and left in tears while protecting an OAP from a robbery.

The opera star, 39, had intervened when she saw an old lady being attacked in the street by two girls.

After the pair were arrested, cops have since confirmed a 15-year-old has been charged with robbery and assault.

She has been released under investigation and will appear at Highbury Magistrates' court in the new year.

Pictures from the scene after the attack showed a distraught-looking Katherine talking to police.

Witnesses said she had flagged down a passing patrol car and that they had chased the suspects and arrested them.

Katherine went to help the lady on Wednesday afternoon as she walked along the swanky King’s Road in Chelsea, West London.

The star was on her way to a gig at nearby St Luke's Church – which she still managed to perform at.

A spokesman for the singer said Katherine had rushed over to help but was then attacked herself.

He added: “Miraculously, Katherine still managed to perform at the concert as she didn’t want to let the charity down.”

During the gig she sang Silent Night and O Holy Night.

One concertgoer said: “Katherine was brilliant as ever but I sensed a little spark missing in her voice.”'

Miraculously, Katherine still managed to perform at the concert as she didn’t want to let the charity down.

Yesterday the Welsh mezzo-soprano was recovering at her London home.

She has told in the past how she fought off a would-be rapist when she was just 17 years old.

The singer revealed she had been walking across a bridge near Paddington when she was dragged down an alleyway.

Somehow she managed to get out of his grip and flee, with cops chillingly telling her they thought he was trying to rape her.

Police said two 15-year-old girls had been arrested on suspicion of robbery before one was charged.

A witnesses said he saw them put in the back of a van, revealing: “I saw this almighty melee and recognised Katherine immediately. She looked upset.

“Then I saw these young girls being led away by police.

“They were shouting and screaming and protesting their innocence.”

The Met Police said they were called just after 3pm. One officer was hurt as arrests were made but did not require hospital treatment.

Katherine’s agent said the singer was going to a rehearsal ahead of the Henry van Straubenzee memorial charity concert that evening.

The event was attended by Duchess of Cambridge Kate’s mother Carole and sister Pippa.

Katherine’s agent added: “She witnessed an old lady being mugged and intervened to help. As a result Katherine was mugged herself.

“However she helped police identify the perpetrator and the young woman was arrested shortly afterwards.”

Source: Read Full Article