Toyota ordered to pay $16 million to Southern California dealer over Prius recall
SANTA ANA, Calif. — Toyota has been ordered to pay nearly $16 million to a Southern California dealer who alleged that the company’s Prius recalls didn’t fix safety problems.
The Los Angeles Times reported an Orange County jury decided Monday that Toyota had breached “good faith and fair dealing” with Roger Hogan, who has dealerships in Claremont and San Juan Capistrano.
Hogan alleged Toyota retaliated against him after he began raising safety concerns about the Prius electric power system in 2017. The jury specifically ruled on Hogan’s claim that a 2014 Prius recall didn’t fix defects.
Toyota 7203, +1.04% denies wrongdoing and says the jury’s decision doesn’t indicate its decision was related to vehicle safety issues.
The company still faces a lawsuit in Los Angeles that says its recalls failed to fix Prius defects.
Photo Of Trump With Pal Kim Jong Un Now On White House Wall
Four new photos hung in the White House on Monday include a picture of the man whom President Donald Trump has called “my friend” — North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
Twitter critics weren’t amused.
The new photo shows Trump stepping into North Korea late last month as Kim looks at Trump’s feet. Trump traveled to the Demilitarized Zone and, very briefly, North Korea following the G-20 Summit in Osaka, Japan. He was the first president to set foot in the insular communist country.
Another photo shows Trump standing with soldiers at the DMZ. The other two hung Monday are from events marking the 75th anniversary of D-day weeks earlier — one with Trump applauding alongside Britain’s Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles at an event in England, and the other with French President Emmanuel Macon in Normandy watching a flyover.
The latest additions to the White House wall were reported with a photo in a tweet by senior Bloomberg political reporter Jennifer Jacobs.
Significant police presence in Elmwood after crash
Numerous Winnipeg police units are on scene at Watt Street and Harbison Avenue in Elmwood where a red SUV was involved in a crash Monday night.
Witnesses told Global News a pair of suspects were being pursued by police in the vehicle, with the chase coming to an abrupt stop when the car hit a curb near Watt Street and Harbison Avenue.
According to bystanders, two suspects got out of the car, and one fled on foot.
Watt Street is taped off for several blocks around the red vehicle.
Officers at the scene told Global News there is no threat to public safety.
Ryanair to cut services due to Boeing 737 Max crisis
Ryanair has warned that delays to deliveries of Boeing’s 737 Max aircraft will hit passenger numbers next year and it plans to cut or close bases at some airports as a result.
Europe’s biggest budget carrier has ordered 135 of the 737 Max models, which remain remain grounded after two crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia killed a total of 346 people. Boeing has yet to convince regulators that software modifications are sufficient to ensure the plane’s safety.
Ryanair now expects to carry 157 million passengers in the year to March 2021, rather than 162 million, cutting its summer 2020 growth rate to 3% from 7%.
It emerged this week that a 737 Max plane due to be delivered to Ryanair had the name Max dropped from the livery, fuelling speculation that the manufacturer and airlines will seek to rebrand the troubled plane once it is given the all clear to fly again.
The Ryanair chief executive, Michael O’Leary, said: “Ryanair remains committed to the 737 Max aircraft, and now expects that it will return to flying service before the end of 2019, however the exact date of this return remains uncertain.”
CRH to sell European distribution arm to Blackstone in $1.9 bln deal
July 16 (Reuters) – Irish cement maker CRH said on Tuesday it has agreed to sell its European distribution arm to private equity funds managed by Blackstone Group Inc for an enterprise value of about 1.64 billion euros ($1.85 billion).
Telenor Q2 Profit Rises
Norwegian telecom major Telenor Group (TELNY.PK,TELN) reported that its second-quarter net income attributable to equity holders rose to 3.10 billion Norwegian kroner from 2.65 billion kroner in the prior year.
Total reported revenues were 28.0 billion kroner, an increase of 2% from last year. Subscription and traffic revenues decreased by 1% on an organic basis in the second quarter.
For 2019, the company expects subscription and traffic revenues at around the 2018 level and a low single digit EBITDA decline. Capex excluding licences and spectrum is still expected to be in the range of 16 billion kroner -17 billion kroner.
Home Depot Shoppers Boycotting Store For Co-founder Supporting Trump
Home Depot is facing the heat of shoppers, who are threatening to boycott the home improvement retailer after its co-founder reportedly offered millions to support Donald Trump’s re-election.
In a recent interview with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, billionaire Bernie Marcus, who retired from Home Depot in 2002, said that he would be donating to President Trump’s bid for a second term in the White House. Marcus has been a Trump supporter for long and donated $7 million to help in Trump’s 2016 election.
Marcus told in the interview, “He’s got a businessman’s common sense approach to most things… the truth is he has produced more than anybody else. He has. If we look at this country, I would say that we are better off today than we were eight years ago or six years ago.”
Following the news, the messages are outpouring in social media under the hashtag #BoycottHomeDepot. The customers also said they are discarding their Home Depot cards, and urged to shop at competitors like Lowe’s and Menards. The shoppers have also posted on Home Depot’s official Twitter account with comments like “just say no to Home Depot”.