I was thrown through the air after being struck by lightning – but it paralyzed my dad

A DAD and his daughter are lucky to be alive after they were struck by lightning during stormy weather in Florida.

John Moberg, 74, and Ashley, 19, were in the parking lot outside Steinbrenner Field during a spring training game for the New York Yankees against the Atlanta Braves when they were struck.



The pair, who are huge Yankees fans, made the trip to Tampa, Florida, from Elmhurst, Illinois, a western suburb of Chicago, earlier this month to watch their favorite players get ready for the regular season. 

As they sat down to watch the game a storm was approaching the area.

Due to the rain, the game was called off in the sixth innings, so father and daughter decided to leave the stadium and initially found shelter in a souvenir shop before going in search of their car in the parking lot.

When they couldn't find their car, the two stopped under a tree to take shelter, a place experts advise people should never take shelter during a thunderstorm.

Read More on Weather

Shocking video shows lightning hitting the launch pad of NASA’s new Artemis I

Residents urged to seek shelter during tornado warnings and wild weather

"There was a bright flash, brighter than the [studio] lights you have, and then the loud boom," Ashley told Accuweather. "I saw my dad flying through the air smacking his face on the ground and I was flying through the air and then I thought my dad was dead for a while because he was knocked unconscious and not talking."

Ashley was adjusting her shoes when she was struck, and the force of the strike sent the shoes flying off her feet, according to The Daily Herald.

The force of the lightning strike temporarily knocked John unconscious.

"Well, I didn’t realize lightning had struck, I felt like I was in a dream. I woke up with my face in the mud but totally unable to move," John Moberg told Fox Weather.

Most read in The Sun

PUT A BLING ON IT

Brooklyn marries billionaire heiress in celeb-packed wedding of decade

GRAND NATIONAL

50/1 Noble Yeats WINS for Sam Waley-Cohen's final ride in Aintree shocker

GUNNERS GO MAD

Arsenal and Tottenham set for £60m summer scrap for Leicester's Maddison

ABUSED ON CAM

I was sexually harassed by Jimmy Savile live on TV – it turned my stomach

The Chicagoans were transported by paramedics to an area hospital for treatment to their injuries.

"It’s like when somebody rubs their socks on the floor and gives you a static shock, but over your whole body. There was this electrical burning smell like wires got fried. Aside from that, I didn’t feel much, and I didn’t really feel anything in the moment because you’re in so much shock," Ashley said.

Ashley managed to to get the attention of a passerby, who called 911.

John suffered a broken cheekbone while Ashley suffered burns to her neck, as the electricity heated and melted a metal necklace she was wearing.

After spending a couple of days in hospital and once doctors had given the Mobergs the OK to be discharged, the pair returned to the area where the lightning had struck to see if they could recount the incident.

"I went to look for the necklace that melted off. But unfortunately, I couldn’t find it," Ashley said.

The Illinois residents were the only reported injuries from the storms and safely made it back home.

Read More on The US Sun

One dead as ’40 gunshots’ erupt at gas station amid surge of violence at pumps

The Yankees have given the duo free tickets to a game against the Chicago White Sox in May and an autographed ball from Ashley's favorite player, Aaron Judge.

Florida averages 14.6million lightning strikes each year with many occurring during the summer storm season.


We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The US Sun team?

Email us at [email protected] or call 212 416 4552.

Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheSunUS and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunUS

    Source: Read Full Article