Man who strangled girlfriend and then slit her throat is jailed

Man, 36, who strangled his dental nurse girlfriend, 33, and then slit her throat before confessing to friend ‘I’ve done something really bad’ is jailed for 18 years

  • Daryll Paterson strangled and slit the throat of his girlfriend Louise Aitchison, 33
  • The High Court in Glasgow heard the incident came after an argument escalated 
  • Paterson, 36, confessed ‘I’ve done something really bad’ to his friend and sister
  • He pleaded guilty to Louise’s murder and was sentenced to 18 years behind bars

Daryll Paterson, 36, strangled his girlfriend Louise Aitchison, 33, and then slit her throat at the home they shared in Park Terrace, East Kilbride, on April 28 last year

A man who murdered his partner by strangling her and then slashing her throat has been jailed for life.

Daryll Paterson, 36, has been ordered to spend at least 18 years behind bars after confessing to the murder of his girlfriend Louise Aitchison.

He carried out the brutal attack on the 33-year-old former dental nurse on April 28 last year.

He was arrested after admitting his crime to a friend and his sister, confessing: ‘I’ve done something really bad’.

The murder took place at the home the couple shared in Park Terrace, East Kilbride, Scotland and was sparked by an alcohol-fuelled fight between the couple, who had been together since 2019, the court heard. 

The argument escalated and he strangled her before striking her in the neck with a knife leaving a ‘gaping wound.’

Police found three washed knives in the flat and Louise’s body covered in blankets in a bedroom. 

As Paterson pleaded guilty to the murder at the High Court in Glasgow, a judge slammed him for ‘betraying the love and trust’ of his partner.   

Jailing Paterson for 18 years, Judge Lady Stacey said: ‘She was only 33 years of age. She had served the community here and overseas and had much to look forward to.

‘She was entitled to look to you for love and support but you betrayed her trust and by your actions you took her life.

‘You know that you killed Louise and now you will have to live with that knowledge for the rest of your life.’

Former dental nurse Louise Aitchison was murdered at the home the couple shared in Park Terrace, East Kilbride, Scotland, on April 28 last year

The couple met while walking their dogs and began living together at her home in March 2019. 

Defence QC Donald Findlay told the court that Paterson had had a difficult childhood and his life was blighted by alcohol.

He added: ‘The pair met by chance and through their love of dogs began a relationship.

‘He really does not have a clear recollection of how this came to pass. He has various snapshots. 

‘He does accept the two of them had a considerable amount to drink, there was clearly some kind of argument which gathered momentum and got out of hand.

‘He can remember having his hand on her throat, he can remember her having a knife. He can remember a fight and he can remember the aftermath.’

The court heard that on April 28, 2019 Louise phoned the police at 10.45pm and asked them to remove Paterson from her home. He left and said he would phone to collect his stuff.

Prosecutor Alex Prentice QC said: ‘At some point that evening Mr Paterson murdered Louise Aitchison by compressing her neck, restricting her breathing and striking her on the neck with a knife causing a gaping wound.’

At 1am on April 29 Paterson turned up at his friend Adam Ford’s house and told him: ‘I’ve done something really bad, I’m going to go away for a very long time. My life’s over.’

Paterson was jailed for 18 years by a judge at The High Court in Glasgow who said the killer had ‘betrayed the love and trust’ of his partner

The next day April 30 Paterson confessed to his sister Khiya Paterson saying: ‘She’s gone. I’ve done something really bad.’

When asked where Louise was Paterson told his sister she was in the bedroom and the knife, which he had washed was in the kitchen.

Paterson told his sister: ‘We had an argument and she punched me on the throat. I told her not to do that, but she hit me again on the same place.

‘She was kicking me and things got ugly and then she had a knife.

‘I don’t know what happened, but suddenly I was on top of her with my hands round her throat. And then it happened.’

As he made the last remark he moved his hand across his throat.

When police entered the flat they found Louise lying dead in the bedroom, covered with a blanket. Three knives were found in the kitchen sink.

A post mortem examination found the cause of dead was neck injuries. 

The wound to Louise’s throat measured almost eight inches. There was also a fracture to one of the bones in her neck.

Louise, who was 4ft 11 and weighed just under nine stones, is survived by her mother, sister and brother.

She did voluntary work in India, aged 23 and then worked as a dental nurse for 15 years, before becoming a support worker.

Source: Read Full Article