Missing submarine KRI Nanggala found broken into at least three parts off Bali

The navy submarine that went missing off the coast of Bali last week has been found, broken into at least three parts, Indonesia’s military has confirmed.

The country’s president has sent condolences to the families of the 53 crew members who were on board when it vanished on Wednesday last week.

Speaking to reporters, military chief Marshal Hadi Tjahjanto said: “Based on the evidence, it can be stated that the KRI Nanggala has sunk and all of its crew have died.”

Navy chief of staff Yudo Margono said: “The KRI Nanggala is divided into three parts, the hull of the ship, the stern of the ship, and the main parts are all separated, with the main part found cracked.”

On Saturday, officials confirmed that a scan had spotted the vessel 850m deep – beyond its diving range.

Helicopters and ships had been deployed to search for the submarine, with help from other countries including the US, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia and India.

Source: Read Full Article