A week-old baby has miraculously survived after it was left abandoned inside a chest of drawers that had been left down an alleyway in baking 30C heat.
The child was only found when the discarded piece of furniture caught the eye of a passerby after it had been thrown away in Chicago's Montclare neighbourhood in the US.
A woman, who asked to remain anonymous, said she had originally planned to remove the handles to reuse them but was shocked when she made the lifesaving discovery.
She said the little one was wrapped in rosary beads and had a mouth full of vomit, while officials said the child was less than a week old.
The rescuer said the chest of drawers caught her eye as she walked along the block, ABC7 Chicago reported.
When she opened the drawer, she found the baby laying there.
"I put my finger on the little foot, to just to see he was moving," she told NBC Chicago.
The unidentified woman remained on the scene until emergency services arrived and took him to Lurie Children's Hospital.
He is in a good condition, a spokesman for the Chicago Fire Department said.
For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here
Spokesman Larry Langford said it was lucky someone walked past the dresser and found the baby, considering the high temperatures in the city today, which have been exceeding 30C.
"It’s a good thing somebody came by. It’s hot out there, it could’ve ended differently, but it’s all seemingly worked out," he told the Chicago Tribune.
Karie James, a Chicago Police Department spokeswoman, said in an email that police were investigating.
Body of climber who fell into world's deepest cave found halfway down 1.3 mile drop
Under Illinois’ "Safe Haven" law, enacted in 2001, a parent can safely relinquish an infant 30 days old or younger to a hospital, police station, fire station, or emergency medical facility and leave the infant with personnel of the facility without fear of legal repercussions.
Candy Pittner, who lives in the area where the newborn was found, told WLS-TV she’s outraged someone would just leave an infant out with the trash when there are so many safe places a child can be dropped off.
"You could have even rung my doorbell, I would have taken the baby and left. Anything but leaving it in that drawer," Pittner said.
Source: Read Full Article