No new coronavirus cases in Victoria, but concerns about restaurant patrons

Victoria has recorded no further cases of coronavirus in the past day, after a 30-year-old man tested positive on Tuesday.

He is thought to have acquired the virus in hotel quarantine in Adelaide and is counted in today’s numbers as a case acquired interstate.

Commander of Victoria’s COVID-19 response Jeroen Weimar.Credit:Penny Stephens

Four Tier 1 sites, and three Tier 2 sites were publicised on Tuesday in Melbourne’s south-west and northern suburbs, as well as the CBD restaurant where the infectious man spent three hours on Friday night.

“The gentleman has indicated that he thought there are around 30 to 40 people in the restaurant. There are not 30 or 40 names on that QR code system,” Mr Weimar said.

He said it was a wake-up call for Victorians to abide by the “very few basic” coronavirus restrictions left.

“Wear a mask on public transport, and in taxis and when you can’t isolate [and] use the QR system wherever you go. It’s pretty simple, and that’s what we need to retain all these privileges that we have.”

The government is now relying on people who attended exposure sites over the past four days and did not sign-in to come forward for testing, while hundreds are already awaiting results.

Health Minister Martin Foley said on Tuesday the man’s three household contacts had already tested negative, but would isolate for 14 days regardless and be tested again.

There are four “tier one” exposure sites, including the TIC group office in Altona North (where the man worked), a Woolworths supermarket and the India Gates Spices and Groceries in Epping and the Curry Vault Indian Restaurant in Melbourne’s CBD. The sites were being deep cleaned on Tuesday evening.

Late on Tuesday night, the Health Department added two Metro train services to “tier two” exposure sites.

Anyone who caught the Craigieburn to Southern Cross service departing 5.28pm and arriving at 6.07pm on Friday, or the Flinders Street to Craigieburn service departing 10.20pm and arriving 11.05pm is advised to get tested and isolate until they receive a negative result.

Anyone who caught the Craigieburn to Southern Cross service departing 5.28pm and arriving at 6.07pm on Friday, or the Flinders Street to Craigieburn service departing 10.20pm and arriving 11.05pm is advised to get tested and isolate until they receive a negative result.

Other “tier two” sites include the TIC back warehouse in Altona North, the 7-Eleven on the corner of High and Cooper streets in Epping (between 6.30pm and 7pm on Thursday and between 11.10am and 11.40am on Saturday).

The man in his 30s tested positive for coronavirus a week after he had returned to his home in Wollert in Melbourne’s north from Adelaide, where he had been quarantining in a CBD hotel after departing India via the Maldives and Singapore.

Genomic testing is still underway to confirm the source of his infection, but chief health officers on both side of the border suspect he caught it while staying at the South Australia quarantine facility.

  • With Aisha Dow

Sign up to our Coronavirus Update newsletter

Get our Coronavirus Update newsletter for the day’s crucial developments and the numbers you need to know. Sign up to The Sydney Morning Herald’s newsletter here and The Age’s here.

Most Viewed in National

From our partners

Source: Read Full Article