A Pizza Hut takeaway restaurant has been fined more than £13,000 over a stomach-turning cockroach infestation.
Cambridge City Council officers visited the branch on Mill Road and found the insects.
Grim pictures show them on a sticky trap on the floor and on a door frame within the pizza delivery building, Cambridgeshire Live reports.
In agreement with the owner, the branch was immediately shut down so that remedial works could be carried out.
Cambridge City Council today announced that it was successful in prosecuting the pizza delivery company for food hygiene offences.
The director of Exultant Pizza Ltd, trading as Pizza Hut Delivery at 83 Mill Road in Cambridge, pleaded guilty at Huntingdon Magistrates’ Court to being aware of the infestation and failing to have adequate procedures in place to control the pests.
People can become allergic to cockroaches after frequent exposure, and the insects carry intestinal diseases such as diarrhoea, dysentery, typhoid fever and cholera.
Councillor Rosy Moore, Executive Councillor for Environmental Services and City Centre on Cambridge City Council, said: “Public health should be a top priority for all food businesses in Cambridge and we expect them to maintain high standards.
“However, when we find poor standards that present significant risks to food safety and associated public health we will not hesitate to take action to keep the public from harm.
Police release CCTV after woman aged in her 40s is raped outside London hospital
“In the current climate, with coronavirus at the forefront of everyone’s mind, it is essential that businesses comply with all food hygiene legislation, and where premises have been closed for a period it is imperative that extra checks for pests are taken before opening.”
Last month, a kebab shop was slapped with a huge fine after it hosted an impromptu rave broadcast on TikTok.
Revellers without masks gathered inside the Fortitude Valley fast food joint in Brisbane, Australia around 3am and broke out into a dance.
The shop's owners were afterwards ordered to pay a whopping AU $6,772 (£3,700) for violating coronavirus guidelines.
Source: Read Full Article