Prince Philip has successful procedure for preheart condition

Prince Philip, 99, has successful procedure for pre-existing heart condition and will stay in St Bart’s hospital for treatment, rest and recuperation for a number of days, Buckingham Palace confirms

The Duke of Edinburgh has undergone a ‘successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition’ and will remain in hospital for ‘treatment, rest and recuperation for a number of days’, Buckingham Palace said today. 

Prince Philip, 99, had the operation yesterday at St Bartholomew’s Hospital in the City of London, where he was transferred to on Monday after spending 14 days at King Edward VII Hospital in Marylebone due to an infection. 

It comes after his daughter-in-law Camilla revealed yesterday while visiting a vaccination centre in Croydon that the Duke was ‘slightly improving’ and that everyone in the Royal Family was ‘keeping our fingers crossed’.  

Philip, who is set to celebrate his 100th birthday this June, has been receiving continuing treatment in recent weeks for an infection as well as testing and observation for his pre-existing heart condition.

Giving an update on his condition at 9.30am this morning, a Buckingham Palace spokesman said: ‘The Duke of Edinburgh yesterday underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s Hospital. His Royal Highness will remain in hospital for treatment, rest and recuperation for a number of days.’

Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams said today that the update was ‘good news’, adding: ‘The Iron Duke is fighting back. Wonderful.’ And royal biographer Angela Levin added: ‘That is very good news.’

ITV royal correspondent Chris Ship said it was possible that Philip has had a stent fitted, which medical experts had predicted when he was moved on Monday. The Duke had a stent fitted in 2011 after a blocked coronary artery. 

The Duke of Edinburgh, pictured during the transfer of the Colonel-in-Chief of The Rifles at Windsor Castle on July 22 last year

City of London Police officers stand at the entrance to St Bartholomew’s Hospital this morning where Philip is being treated

The Queen, who is being kept regularly updated about her husband’s condition, will not be permitted to visit him at St Bart’s and is thought to be unlikely to see him until he leaves.

This is because visitors are currently excluded apart from a handful of ‘exceptional’ circumstances, including end of life.

She did not visit him at King Edward VII Hospital as she is always reluctant to cause disruption to any hospital’s vital work and knows her presence would place unnecessary pressure on staff at the best of times.

It means the Queen will have been parted from her husband of 73 years for at least three weeks.

St Bart’s said while they know it is difficult for patients and their families ‘our first duty is to the patients we serve, and to maintain their safety at all times we need to control visiting’.

It adds: ‘We are only allowing visitors in exceptional circumstances. We understand that having a family member in hospital is distressing, and we work closely with relatives and friends to ease their concerns and find alternative ways of keeping in touch.’

Buckingham Palace announced on Monday that Philip had been transferred to St Bart’s for continuing treatment for an infection, as well as ‘testing and observation’ for a pre-existing heart condition.

Although he remains comfortable and responding to treatment, they said, he will remain in hospital until at least the end of the week. 

Members of the Royal Family had recently been speaking out about his stay for treatment.

His son Prince Edward said last week Philip was ‘a lot better’ but ‘looking forward to getting out’ with the Royal Family were keeping their ‘fingers crossed’.

The Earl of Wessex was asked about his father by Sky News’ royal correspondent Rhiannon Mills, while she was filming a separate interview with him his Bagshot Park home in Surrey.

He replied: ‘He’s a lot better, thank you very much indeed, and he’s looking forward to getting out, which is the most positive thing, so we keep our fingers crossed.’ 

Source: Read Full Article