‘Shattered’ parents claim baby girl died in devastating ‘horror film’ delivery

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

A baby girl died after a disastrous forceps delivery in hospital, her parents have said.

The parents of Winter Vernon described the delivery as "like something out of a horror film".

Little Winter Vernon was born on May 10 this year at Ormskirk Hospital but was quickly transferred to Alder Hey Children's Hospital where she then died the following day.

Her mum, Marisa heard, and dad, Michael Vernon, believe that the use of forceps in the delivery went catastrophically wrong causing severe head injuries.

Marisa and Michael are now set to take legal action over the death of their daughter, reports the Liverpool ECHO.

Marisa, 27, said: "Our lives were shattered completely.

"We're not only having to deal with the devastating loss of our baby but we're also forced to fight to get to the truth and an explanation of what happened to take her away from us."

Civil engineer Michael, 35, added: "As soon as the baby came out I could see the injuries. The top of her skull was all caved in.

"You could literally see the shape of the forceps indented into her skull and you could see a big cut four or five inches just above her eye.

"I have that memory in my head for the rest of my life, I will never forget that, ever. It is like a horror film for me."

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

The Netherton couple also claim they were contacted by someone claiming to be a member of staff at Ormskirk Hospital in the days after Winter's death – raising whistleblowing concerns about the way the delivery was handled.

Beautician Marisa, originally from Formby, said she went into hospital to be induced on May 8, having gone six days over her due date.

By May 10, she was still not fully dilated and was told she would need to give birth via emergency Caesarean Section, a procedure where the baby is surgically removed.

She was given two epidurals, meaning she could feel nothing from the waist down, and was wheeled into the operating theatre for the procedure to begin.

However, when she arrived in theatre, she was told she was now fully dilated and could give birth naturally.

According to Marisa and Michael – who was also present – it soon became clear something was wrong.

She said: "He was using the forceps with excessive force, pulling me down the bed. Every time he pulled the midwives had to pull me back up the bed.

"I had a midwife next to me monitoring my contractions as I couldn't feel them and she was letting the doctor know when I was and when to pull."

Marisa claimed the midwife was shouting at the doctor "she is not contracting" and she was cut to get baby Winter out.

Both Marisa and Michael describe palpable "tension in the room" during the delivery and both describe Winter as looking "battered and bruised" and "lifeless" when she was eventually delivered.

She was whisked away for emergency treatment, which Marisa and Michael said they were later told included CPR.

Winter was transferred to Alder Hey the following day and despite her condition initially appearing to make slight improvements she died on May 11.

Marisa and Michael say doctors at Alder Hey told them Winter appeared to have severe fractures to her skull.

An investigation has since been launched by Julie Goulding, senior coroner for Sefton, St Helens and Knowsley, and the medical cause of death has been withheld.

Winter's death has also been referred to the Healthcare Safety Investigation Branch (HSIB) and the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

Dr Kate Clark, medical director of Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust, said: "I want to send our deepest sympathies to Winter’s parents at this very difficult and distressing time.

"We are concluding a comprehensive investigation to understand the full circumstances around her death. However, it would be inappropriate to comment further until this and the Coroner’s inquiry have been completed."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

  • NHS
  • babies
  • Family

Source: Read Full Article