The videos that caught killer cop: How detectives traced Wayne Couzens

The videos that caught killer cop: How detectives viewed hours of dashcam, doorbell and CCTV footage to trace Wayne Couzens… and follow Sarah Everard’s final footsteps on night she was snatched

  • Hours of CCTV was discovered and collected by police investigating the abduction and killing
  • Today he has been told he will spend the rest of his life in jail for the kidnap, rape and murder of Sarah Everard 
  • Cressida Dick facing calls to quit yet again after another scandal and despite controversial new contract 
  • Footage shows PR executive on the pavement with depraved Met officer moments before he kidnapped her 
  • Couzens cuffed hands behind her back, leaving her incapable of undoing the seatbelt he strapped around her 
  • Marketing executive was raped, murdered and burned in pre-meditated attack that was weeks in planning 
  • Couzens watched with head bowed while victim’s family, friends and boyfriend listened from public stalls  

Detectives investigating one of their own as they unraveled the harrowing murder of Sarah Everard uncovered hours of footage including from cars, buses and even a doorbell to nail her killer.

The cache of CCTV video traced Couzens’ appalling plot and how he tricked Miss Everard, 33, with his staged fake arrest.

With the killer cop refusing to explain what he had done, it was to be the crucial evidence that would prove his evil acts in London’s Old Bailey courthouse

While on duty on February 28, he booked a £65.30 hire car from Enterprise Rent-a-Car in Dover, which he collected on March 3 (pictured), having decided his own was too old and filthy to be passed off as a police vehicle

At 5.52pm Sarah Everard is seen as she leaves her home in Craster Road, Brixton, to go and see her friend in Clapham

While on her journey for her night out, Sarah stops off at a Sainsbury’s store on Brixton Hill at 6pm and is seen talking on the phone as she enters the shop

Security cameras inside the Sainsbury’s store saw Sarah use a self-checkout aisle to purchase a bottle of wine in preparation for her evening

Just three minutes after having entered the Sainsbury’s store on Brixton Hill, Sarah is seen leaving again to visit a friend in Clapham Junction

Officers were even able to pinpoint the moment he arrived at Enterprise Rent-a-Car in Dover at 4.47pm on March 3 to get the hire vehicle he would use in his depraved attack.

Just over an hour later at 5.52pm in London, Sarah was seen leaving her home in Brixton, south London. to visit one of her friends in Clapham.

By 6pm she was shown on film going into a supermarket and putting on her facemask to shop for a bottle of wine.

CCTV then featured her walking away from the shop towards her friend’s house.

Miss Everard left her house at 9.15pm and starts her journey back home to Brixton.

By 9.28pm she was walking up Cavendish Road and was seen on a security camera fitted onto the front of a house.

Miss Everard, described by a former partner as ‘savvy and streetwise’, was on her way home at 9.15pm, having had dinner with a friend in Clapham. Pictured: Sarah is seen as she leaves her friend’s house and starts walking home to Brixton

She is said to have been in ‘good spirits’ as she chatted to her boyfriend on the phone while walking briskly along the well-lit A205, which was busy with traffic. The call ended at 9.28pm. It would be the last time anyone heard from her. Pictured: Sarah walks east down Cavendish Road towards her home after concluding her call with her boyfriend

Just four minutes after Sarah was seen walking down Cavendish Road towards her home, Couzens’ hire car, was spotted travelling east, and passing the same camera

Couzens (right) pulled over, on the pretence of arresting Miss Everard (left) for breaching lockdown rules. Dashcam footage from cars and buses travelling past captured him flashing his warrant card before reaching for his handcuffs

A bus CCTV camera captures Sarah in the back seat of Couzens’ car. At the precise moment Couzens abducted Miss Everard – on March 3 – his wife Elena sent a message to his mother: ‘Wayne had a call for overtime shift tonight. I [was] wondering if you could pick children from school tomorrow, would you?’

The same camera showed Couzens in his hire car driving in her direction just four minutes later.

It is 9.34pm before the next moving images of Miss Everard were found and by then Couzens had approached her.

Chilling footage from cameras on a bus showed him showing her his warrant card to her as he convinced her she was being arrested.

Three minutes later a passing car’s dashcam shows Miss Everard, who by then was handcuffed, in the back seat of the rental car and Couzens at the wheel.

Footage from the next morning at 8.15am shows how callous Couzens bought a hot chocolate and Bakewell Tart from Costa Coffee.

He shows no sign of remorse or guilt, despite having raped and murdered Miss Everard just six hours earlier.

Buying a hot chocolate and Bakewell tart at a Costa Coffee – wearing the very same clothes as he had the night before. Just over an hour later, he would dispose of Miss Everard’s phone in a flood relief channel in Sandwich – but a fragment was later found in his car

On March 5, Couzens bought a can of petrol (pictured) and another McDonald’s meal before heading back to Hoad’s Wood, where he had purchased a plot of land – described as ‘perfect for day trips’ – in 2019, and where he had left his murdered victim’s body more than 24 hours ago

At 12.45pm on March 5, a local sees a large fire by a fridge. This was used by Couzens to burn Miss Everard’s clothing and body just yards from his own plot of land. He brought his wife and children to the woodland two days later

Couzens is seen strolling into B&Q – having already bought items from Amazon, including a police-issue handcuff key and a roll of self-adhesive plastic carpet-protecting film, to prepare for his crime over several weeks

Couzens buying building sacks from B&Q for £9.94. He then returns to the woods to dump Miss Everard’s remains in a pond

Hoad’s Wood, where Couzens returned with wife and children on the morning of Sunday March 7, stopping for cash at Dover South Services. He had also stopped there hours after murdering Miss Everard. Astonishingly, Couzens allowed his children to play close to where he had hidden his victim as her disappearance dominated the news

A day later, on March 8, he was due to attend a training day but called in sick. He then drove to the Met’s diplomatic protection team base, where he stowed the kit he used to kidnap Miss Everard

By 11.09am on March 5, he is seen buying petrol from a Kent garage he will use to try and burn her remains.

He is seen moment later putting the green plastic can containing the fuel back into his own black car. 

A large fire was seen in Hoad’s Wood at 12.45pm that day when Couzens burned his victims remains inside a fridge. 

At 2pm footage from B & Q shows Couzens buying large rubble bags to remove and hide Miss Everard’s remains.

The next film on March 8 at 7pm featured him at Lillie Road police station in London where he dumped items he had used during the kidnap.

The day later on 9.50pm police bodyworn camera shows the moment he is confronted over the disappearance of Miss Everard.

Couzens initially claimed to the detectives that he did not know Miss Everard, before backtracking moments later.

He then concocted a ridiculous fantasy story involving an Eastern European gang who had pressured him after he attempted to ‘rip off’ one of their call girls.

This is the moment police confronted Wayne Couzens with a picture of Sarah Everard at his home 

Detectives arrived at his house in Deal, Kent, at 5.45pm on Tuesday, March 9, six days after he snatched his victim

The murderer was caught and handcuffed after his hire car was traced to his address

Source: Read Full Article