Trump says he WILL NOT take part in ‘unacceptable’ virtual debate and says he 'easily beat Biden in the first one’

DONALD Trump will not take part in "unacceptable" virtual debate and said he "easily beat Joe Biden in the first one."

"I'm not going to waste my time doing a virtual debate," the president confirmed.

⚠️ Follow our US election 2020 live blog for the latest news & updates


Trump's campaign manager, Bill Stepien, echoed the president's sentiments, saying: "We'll pass on this sad excuse to bail out Joe Biden and do a rally instead."

However, during an interview with Fox Business on Thursday morning, the president said that he would not do a rally if he was still contagious.

On the left side, according to Biden campaign manager Kate Bedingfield, the Democrat has confirmed that he will participate in the event and said he "looks forward to speaking directly to the American people."

The Commission on Presidential Debates confirmed that the event would be virtual on Thursday morning.

The nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates cited a need "to protect the health and safety of all involved with the second presidential debate."

The candidates will "participate from separate remote locations," it said.

Trump was said to be calling in from the White House and Biden will also be remote.

The debate will still be "Town Hall style," and moderator Steve Scully will be in Miami alongside undecided voters.

On Tuesday, Biden said that he would not debate the president if he still has the deadly bug that he was diagnosed with late last week.

"I think if he still has Covid, then we shouldn’t have a debate," Biden said while boarding a plane in Hagerstown, Maryland, back home to Delaware. 

The former vice president added that he was not aware of Trump's status since the president returned home after receiving treatment for Covid-19 at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. 

On Tuesday morning, Trump indicated on Twitter that he plans to participate in the debate next week.

"I am looking forward to the debate on the evening of Thursday, October 15th in Miami. It will be great!" the president tweeted.

It is not the first debate in which the candidates are not in the same room. In 1960, the third presidential debate between Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy was broadcast with the two candidates on opposite coasts.

The news comes just one day after Vice President Mike Pence and Kamala Harris went head to head live in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The VP hopefuls were both tested for Covid ahead of the debate to confirm that they do not have the virus.

The pair also sat 12 feet apart between plexiglass barriers.

Source: Read Full Article