Woman ‘comes back from the dead’ after being found breathing in funeral home

  • Bookmark
  • Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

    We have more newsletters

    A funeral home has found that a woman declared dead by her care home was actually alive, in an incident almost identical to one last week.

    An 82-year-old woman was pronounced dead at the New York-based Water's Edge Rehab and Nursing Centre, US, but declared alive just hours later by a funeral home.

    The elderly lady, who has not been named, was pronounced dead at 1.30pm and re-assessed just over a half hour later.

    READ MORE: Care home resident 'gasping for air' after being zipped up in body bag for cremation

    By 2.09pm, the 82-year-old was discovered breathing and subsequently taken to hospital, with no update on her condition other than that she is not dead as the nursing centre first believed.

    A police statement has confirmed the incident as well as a referral to the state attorney general's office, with investigations into the incident now in the hands of the state.

    Investigators for the state health department have been confirmed as working on the case, with a spokesperson for the department, Monica Pomeroy, saying they could not elaborate on the situation at this time.

    Seeking comment from the centre itself, ABCNews reported that no reply was given out of "respect for the privacy" of the elderly woman and her family.

    The statement read: "Out of respect for the privacy and confidentiality of the families we are honoured to serve, we are not in a position to comment further on this matter."

    • Epsom College deaths of headteacher, husband and child 'being treated as murder suicide'

    It comes as another funeral home in Iowa were charged £8,000 ($10,000) after a resident was left "gasping for air" after being zipped up in a body bag.

    Daily Star reported said resident sadly died just days after the incident that saw an employee and nurse at Glen Okas Alzheimer's Special Care Centre claim the elderly resident had died.

    The living pensioner had been stuck onto a gurney and zipped up into a cloth body bag for an hour, until a funeral home director noticed that the woman's chest was moving.

    The unnamed resident had been a nonverbal member of the centre, dying just two days after being recovered from the funeral home.

    For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.


    • Nicola Bulley river diving expert 'can't get head around' how police 'found nothing'
    • AEW star Saraya 'terrified' to find fans think 'Earth is flat' after 'Manson ribs' poll
    • Woodpecker hoarder's 317kg acorn stash crashes through wall of home in 'unreal' find
    • 'Our baby girl was born with half a heart – now we're praying every day for a miracle'
    • Musician, 20, fighting rare brain cancer 'hopeful' after starting £450k trial treatment
    • Near-death experience
    • United States
    • Hospital
    • Funerals

    Source: Read Full Article