Wuhan pool party sparks second pandemic fears as hundreds of revellers swarm waterpark

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Photographs of the event show hundreds of people standing shoulder-to-shoulder in a waterpark in the province of Hubei, China. The images, taken at Wuhan Maya Beach Water Park, have sparked concerns that social distancing measures are being disregarded despite the region’s devastating history with the virus.

Swimmers used dinghies and inflatable rings while watching a performance despite a lack of space in the swimming pool.

Social media users were quick to share their shock at seeing the images online.

One person wrote: “Wuhan China is currently having massive gatherings, pool parties and life is going on as usual.”

Another added: “Looks like Wuhan forgot about the coronavirus…”

And a third person said: “This is #Wuhan, #China. Where the #COVID19 originated from.

“No social distancing. What a joke!”

Wuhan first introduced a lockdown on January 23, when the pathogen transmission spiralled out of control.

The measures, taken in a bid to end the outbreak, included the suspension of public transport services and cancellation of flights.

The restrictions were lifted on April 8, once the virus had spread to European countries and the United States.

Wuhan’s official coronavirus death toll stands at around 3,000, but local residents reportedly believe about 42,000 people died as a consequence of the infection.

READ MORE: 500K Covid deaths was ABSURD we are being DUPED says RICHARD MADELEY

Worldwide, more than 770,000 deaths have been recorded so far.

Despite the stringent measures taken in order to prevent the spread, many countries are preparing for a second wave.

It comes after Chinese officials have said a woman who recovered from COVID-19 has tested positive for the disease a second time, sparking fears of a second wave.

In the UK, Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced in May the UK was “past the peak” of the pandemic.

However, he stressed that lifting the lockdown too soon could risk “a second spike” in cases.

DON’T MISS:
Coronavirus warning – the ‘intense’ rash that could be a sign of COVID [INSIGHT]
Prince Harry and Prince William ‘did not speak’ for TWO MONTHS [REVEALED]
BBC faces radical shake up as Boris Johnson decides on major role [UPDATES]

Mr Johnson said: “Thanks to you we have protected the NHS and saved many thousands of lives.

In order to prevent more infections, the Prime Minister said we “must stay alert”.

He added: “We must continue to control the virus and save lives.

“And yet we must also recognise that this campaign against the virus has come at a colossal cost to our way of life.

“We can see it all around us in the shuttered shops and abandoned businesses and darkened pubs and restaurants.

“So I want to provide tonight – for you – the shape of a plan to address both fears.

“Both to beat the virus and provide the first sketch of a road map for reopening society.”

The UK’s official count of coronavirus-related deaths has passed 41,000.

In an attempt to avoid a second wave, Downing Street recently introduced a mandatory 14-day quarantine for people entering the country.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “The PM has said that those arriving in the UK from overseas will be required to self-isolate in order to prevent infections from abroad and a second wave of cases.

“The work on this is continuing and we will set out more details in due course.”

Source: Read Full Article